GPupdate

Cassady12

OSNN Newbie
We have a policy that gives permissions to MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp.

This policy was set by a previouse admin. He took all permissions out then added domain users.

Now we need SYSTEM to be added back in to install certain software packages.

We added the correct permissions in. They will take effect on the PC only when removed from the domain and readded. Also if you make a change to the permissions on the local PC it seems like the policy will update after a reboot.

GPupdate /force does not update this particular policy.

is there a question in here somewhere?

I have tried GPupdate /force from multiple domain controllers and some policy changes take effect but not the policy I am referencing.

has the policy replicated to all domain controllers?

Have you rebooted the computers? Some policy settings (especially on the computer policy side) only take effect on a reboot.

Do a gpresult and that will tell you what OU the pc is in and what the applied policies are.
You can do this remotely as well using the group management console.

has the policy replicated to all domain controllers?

Have you rebooted the computers? Some policy settings (especially on the computer policy side) only take effect on a reboot.
If you do a gpupdate /force - shouldn't you get a message if a logoff/reboot is required for certain policies to apply? If all things have been applied, I'm guessing the changes haven't replicated to all DC's quite yet or properly.

GPRESULT is a good way to go, see what the machine(s) in question are inheriting.

Fitzy, please correct me if I'm wrong :)

The policy has been replicated to all domain controllers.

The GPUpdate/ force does require a reboot, and the policy doesn't take on the pc.

I have ran a GPresult and dumped it into a log but it just states the policy was updated but doesn't specify what securities were added.

I have made other changes that do take effect with the GPupdate /force , but not this one.

Thanks for your help.

Have you attempted to disjoin the computer from the domain and then rejoin it to the domain?

Yes, I have disjoined and rejoined and that works, but I have over 650 users and would like the policy to take effect without doing this on all users.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back