GPupdate

Cassady12

OSNN Newbie
We have a policy that gives permissions to MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp.

This policy was set by a previouse admin. He took all permissions out then added domain users.

Now we need SYSTEM to be added back in to install certain software packages.

We added the correct permissions in. They will take effect on the PC only when removed from the domain and readded. Also if you make a change to the permissions on the local PC it seems like the policy will update after a reboot.

GPupdate /force does not update this particular policy.

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Political Access
is there a question in here somewhere?

Cassady12

OSNN Newbie
I have tried GPupdate /force from multiple domain controllers and some policy changes take effect but not the policy I am referencing.

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Political Access
has the policy replicated to all domain controllers?

Have you rebooted the computers? Some policy settings (especially on the computer policy side) only take effect on a reboot.

ZeroHour

ho3 ho3 ho3
Do a gpresult and that will tell you what OU the pc is in and what the applied policies are.
You can do this remotely as well using the group management console.

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
has the policy replicated to all domain controllers?

Have you rebooted the computers? Some policy settings (especially on the computer policy side) only take effect on a reboot.
If you do a gpupdate /force - shouldn't you get a message if a logoff/reboot is required for certain policies to apply? If all things have been applied, I'm guessing the changes haven't replicated to all DC's quite yet or properly.

GPRESULT is a good way to go, see what the machine(s) in question are inheriting.

Fitzy, please correct me if I'm wrong :)

Cassady12

OSNN Newbie
The policy has been replicated to all domain controllers.

The GPUpdate/ force does require a reboot, and the policy doesn't take on the pc.

I have ran a GPresult and dumped it into a log but it just states the policy was updated but doesn't specify what securities were added.

I have made other changes that do take effect with the GPupdate /force , but not this one.

Thanks for your help.

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
Have you attempted to disjoin the computer from the domain and then rejoin it to the domain?

Cassady12

OSNN Newbie
Yes, I have disjoined and rejoined and that works, but I have over 650 users and would like the policy to take effect without doing this on all users.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.
Terrahertz wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Yo fellas!
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Where are you buddy?
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey EP! All good with me, applying for Microsoft MVP right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by coming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier!
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
EP, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AntonioPR