Goodbye chance of Windows on a Mac...for now!

Probably because EFI is developed by Intel. There's kind of a partnership there now. ;)

Noooo! Oh well.

I think my next machine will be a Mac though. Dual boot with Vista and Leopard. Mmmmm :D

Grandmaster said:
Noooo! Oh well.

I think my next machine will be a Mac though. Dual boot with Vista and Leopard. Mmmmm :D

That could be fun. I'll definitely consider it.

Ehm, because EFI is close to what they had in the first place? The current iBook I am on does not closely tie **** together, also the BIOS does a lot of initializations, it makes sense in the long run as well, why go with something outdated, rather than go with something that is new and will be the next thing that everyone is going to use?

I find this a good move on Apple's part, Microsoft has to pick up the ball and get their software updated for the iMac's and MacBook Pro, because it is not up to Apple to support their software, it is up to Microsoft to support Apple's hardware if users request it.

Corvette said:
This is a just plain stupid thing, why did Apple have to choose to use an EFI?
Maybe because it wants to help push the industry towards better technology?

Vista includes support for EFI (as do current 64-bit versions of Windows), and Microsoft was also encouraging IHV's to start adopting it at WinHEC last year. It offers a number of advantages over the traditional BIOS which is really starting to show its age.

Why would anyone want to downgrade OSX to Windows?

j79zlr said:
Why would anyone want to downgrade OSX to Windows?

Oh I don't know. Maybe for gaming. Or using programs that aren't on OSX. Or how about...preferences.

It's nice to have the option, just like most windows users "downgrade"* to linux just for fun, and to have the option.

Good to see that Vista will embrace EFI though... shouldn't be too long until Beta 2 is forced onto an iMac somewhere in the world :)

*note: not meant to start any arguments... so don't. Just don't.

I take offence at the term "downgrade" to linux - I have ALWAYS perceived that as an "upgrade" but one that costs me a little more configuration time. But proper configuration of Linux is simply far more rewarding and correct than "tweaking" M$ software.

Sorry if I sound a fanboy for Linux - and did not mean to go OT, but yeah - I did, guilty... :dead:

Oh, cut the crap. I should have just deleted j79zlr's post when I saw it earlier. Useless flamebait leading to useless arguments. Nobody wants to hear whether you guys think moving from X to Y is an upgrade or a downgrade. Use what you want, and stop questioning other people's decisions.

Keep it on topic now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back