• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Goodbye, AMD, for now...?

Technology, just like any other part of history, has an ebb and flow to it. AMD has been ahead for years, but I think I will be looking into my first Intel part since the first Athlons hit the shelves. I've never really been rich, so bang-for-the-buck has always been a huge issue as it has for a lot of other people here, I'm sure.

With the introduction of the (unfortunately named) Core 2 Duo line, they have taken a healthy lead over AMD's similarly priced offering. In a majority of benchmarks, the E6600 outpaces its much more expensive competitor--the FX-62--for what will amount to about USD $316 on release day.

It took Intel a long time to catch up; let's see how long they keep the performance crown. For now, it appears that they will be showing up in my case for the first time in years.

Last edited:

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
Should be awhile really, the AM2 line isn't really a performance increase wrt to the CPUs themselves, only support for DDR2 and eventually DDR3 RAM modules.

Go Intel!

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political User
AMD tried to get in touch with me the other day to make sure I would be available to get some info they were prepping, maybe its the answer... don't know yet, hope its somethint that can compete Core2 is very nice.

AMD tried to get in touch with me the other day to make sure I would be available to get some info they were prepping, maybe its the answer... don't know yet, hope its somethint that can compete Core2 is very nice.
If PR history is any indicator, it probably won't be a quantum leap over the Conroe. If it's faster for a similar price, though, it would be very nice to have. Hope you get the scoop soon!

ming

OSNN Advanced
Wow, I'm pretty surprised... I thought for a minute there that Intel would never catch up. :s

Well, Intel had their ar$3 kicked that resulted in the adoption of Pentium M/Pentium III based technology for desktops rather than continuing with the Pentium 4 otherwise they'll be falling further behind AMD.

Aprox

Political User
Either way, this is great for the consumer in the end. However I still would hold off on purchasing either side, I am waiting till probably April of next year before I even begin to seriously think of upgrading.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies