Goodbye, AMD, for now...?

Petros

Thief IV
Technology, just like any other part of history, has an ebb and flow to it. AMD has been ahead for years, but I think I will be looking into my first Intel part since the first Athlons hit the shelves. I've never really been rich, so bang-for-the-buck has always been a huge issue as it has for a lot of other people here, I'm sure.

With the introduction of the (unfortunately named) Core 2 Duo line, they have taken a healthy lead over AMD's similarly priced offering. In a majority of benchmarks, the E6600 outpaces its much more expensive competitor--the FX-62--for what will amount to about USD $316 on release day.

It took Intel a long time to catch up; let's see how long they keep the performance crown. For now, it appears that they will be showing up in my case for the first time in years.

Last edited:
Wow, I'm pretty surprised... I thought for a minute there that Intel would never catch up. :s

Should be awhile really, the AM2 line isn't really a performance increase wrt to the CPUs themselves, only support for DDR2 and eventually DDR3 RAM modules.

Go Intel!

It was only a matter of time.

AMD tried to get in touch with me the other day to make sure I would be available to get some info they were prepping, maybe its the answer... don't know yet, hope its somethint that can compete Core2 is very nice.

Stop being so unavailable and get us some inside info then !!! :smoker:

AMD tried to get in touch with me the other day to make sure I would be available to get some info they were prepping, maybe its the answer... don't know yet, hope its somethint that can compete Core2 is very nice.

If PR history is any indicator, it probably won't be a quantum leap over the Conroe. If it's faster for a similar price, though, it would be very nice to have. Hope you get the scoop soon!

Wow, I'm pretty surprised... I thought for a minute there that Intel would never catch up. :s

Well, Intel had their ar$3 kicked that resulted in the adoption of Pentium M/Pentium III based technology for desktops rather than continuing with the Pentium 4 otherwise they'll be falling further behind AMD.

I read a review over at HardOCP about the new Conroe's, and in most heavy math benchmarks like encoding and such the conroe was ahead, but in the pure gaming benchmarks there was hardly any difference between the conroe and the top of the line AMD.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTEwOCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

They have a ton of seperate benchmarks for the Conroe. This is just the gaming one.

Still, though, AMD is going to have to slash their prices in half or worse on the FX-62 to have a prayer at competing with a $320-530 Core 2.

Either way, this is great for the consumer in the end. However I still would hold off on purchasing either side, I am waiting till probably April of next year before I even begin to seriously think of upgrading.

No, mhz isnt as important anymore either.

pure mhz as a speed rating hasn't been that important for a while now..

The answer is no. No out of the box chip has ever been rated at more than 3.63GHz (Pentium D Extreme 965).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back