• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

ftp server

Dark Atheist

Staff member
Political User
out of all the programs that there are which do most here use?

i have tried proftpd, vsftpd, glftpd - are there others i should try before i settle on which to use ? is pureftpd worth a look

its only going to be used for normal stuff, sending stuff to storage pc, and a few friends using it, but i don't wont to have to make system accounts for them, so atm vsftpd is not my first choice although its fast and some say the most secure there is :)

This will be on linux btw

I use vsftpd on all servers I setup manually.

pure-ftpd is used on all of the cpanel servers at work.

BTW your best option is to use vsftpd, make system accounts and change the shell to /bin/false

That will disable SSH but still allow FTP access.

You will also want to create a "shared" ftp account if you don't want to have to duplicate files to each persons home folder.

Dark Atheist

Staff member
Political User
going to use vsftpd for internal gbit transfer and pure-ftpd for external accounts, and see how i get on :) (cant give you reps lord, seems i need to spread it about :p)

X-Istence

Political User
Eh, you can use pure-ftpd for internal as well. I have personally found that it eats a lot more CPU than vsftpd does under the same load.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierge