ftp server

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
out of all the programs that there are which do most here use?

i have tried proftpd, vsftpd, glftpd - are there others i should try before i settle on which to use ? is pureftpd worth a look

its only going to be used for normal stuff, sending stuff to storage pc, and a few friends using it, but i don't wont to have to make system accounts for them, so atm vsftpd is not my first choice although its fast and some say the most secure there is :)

This will be on linux btw

I use vsftpd on all servers I setup manually.

pure-ftpd is used on all of the cpanel servers at work.

BTW your best option is to use vsftpd, make system accounts and change the shell to /bin/false

That will disable SSH but still allow FTP access.

You will also want to create a "shared" ftp account if you don't want to have to duplicate files to each persons home folder.

Tend to go with pure-ftpd on servers I setup. Though my need for FTP is usually minimal enough to be coped with by SFTP.

going to use vsftpd for internal gbit transfer and pure-ftpd for external accounts, and see how i get on :) (cant give you reps lord, seems i need to spread it about :p)

Eh, you can use pure-ftpd for internal as well. I have personally found that it eats a lot more CPU than vsftpd does under the same load.

vsftpd is fastest i have found so far for transferring internally

Well mainly because this is the Linux & BSD section and FileZilla server is Windows only ;)

i didnt want to say anything so i could spare his blushes :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back