• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Firewire Limitation in XPSP2, any workaround?

_kC_

hi, i dunno why on earth microsoft limited the firewire bandwidth too 100mb/s in sp2.. is there any way around this (apart from going back too SP1) ?
or any news of a fix from microsoft on the horizon?

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
They did?!!! Bugger me - I'll get well fed up with my Maxtor one touch and Sony DVD cam on the go slow... Post up someone - and I'll be complaining to M$ soon, this is the second SP2 issue to seriously affect me if this is right!

American Zombie

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
If you have not done so already, look on the downloads page of link you posted as there is a firmware and driver upgrade that is supposed to fix this issue.

Yeah, this was a known issue with SP2. It affects only FW800 though, so if you use FW400 (still the most common), you won't have a problem.
Most FW800 device manufacturers are releasing firmware updates, as American Zombie pointed out. Lacie released firmware updated for their FW800 hard drives too.

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
OK now I know I am showing my ignorance here, but how do I detect which firewire I have? Or is it the case that if I do not know I must be on the 400? I know it is a PCI card and have looked all over device manager and the network properties with no indication, even fired up my Maxtor to check it's properties with no success so far - slightly confused if this is an issue for me now. :confused:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdawgintown