Firewire Limitation in XPSP2, any workaround?

_kC_

OSNN Senior Addict
hi, i dunno why on earth microsoft limited the firewire bandwidth too 100mb/s in sp2.. is there any way around this (apart from going back too SP1) ?
or any news of a fix from microsoft on the horizon?

They did?!!! Bugger me - I'll get well fed up with my Maxtor one touch and Sony DVD cam on the go slow... Post up someone - and I'll be complaining to M$ soon, this is the second SP2 issue to seriously affect me if this is right!

If you have not done so already, look on the downloads page of link you posted as there is a firmware and driver upgrade that is supposed to fix this issue.

Yeah, this was a known issue with SP2. It affects only FW800 though, so if you use FW400 (still the most common), you won't have a problem.
Most FW800 device manufacturers are releasing firmware updates, as American Zombie pointed out. Lacie released firmware updated for their FW800 hard drives too.

OK now I know I am showing my ignorance here, but how do I detect which firewire I have? Or is it the case that if I do not know I must be on the 400? I know it is a PCI card and have looked all over device manager and the network properties with no indication, even fired up my Maxtor to check it's properties with no success so far - slightly confused if this is an issue for me now. :confused:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back