Firebird Discussion

Originally posted by dealer
inverting by alphabet won't work, I have them in a particular order.

thanx for the try though

Folders is all i have to say.

If you have time on your hands, and dont mind doing it by hand, goto c:\documents and settings\<username>\<program data folder>\pheonix\<profile>\

amd edit bookmarks.xml or whatever its called. JUST MAKE SURE TO CLOSE ALL INSTANCES OF FIREBIRD. And save it, and open FireBird, there you go :)

I just started using this browser and I must say I'm impressed, a little hard to get used to but there are alot of terms to get used to.
BTW, does the version that I have (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5a) Gecko/20030728 Mozilla Firebird/0.6.1) support skining, I tried the GANT skin and it didnt work. If there any thing else that i should know or any site will info I'm all ears.

Glad you're starting to like the browser, TKC :)

To answer your question: All Firebird builds support themes. Since the GANT theme was released just a few days ago, however, I believe it uses the new skinning engine which is supported only by more recent nightly builds. Try downloading the 20030916 nightly from here:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firebird/nightly/2003-09-16-08-trunk/MozillaFirebird-win32.zip

I haven't noticed any major bugs/issues with this build, so it should work well; plus, you'll get some of the new features that aren't implemented in the older build.

Q: Do I need to create a profile. If so how do I do it. I've a few peole make mention of user profiles, so just asking.

Originally posted by TKC
Q: Do I need to create a profile. If so how do I do it. I've a few peole make mention of user profiles, so just asking.

You don't need to create a new profile if you want to retain your existing settings/bookmarks. Just unzip the files from the new build archive into the MozillaFirebird folder, and overwrite any existing files.

Originally posted by X-Istence
Note to all FireBird users, because of VeriSign being an ass, it is redirecting all typo and mistakes in typing domains to its sitefinder.

This will mean that whenever you visit a site it WILL note popup a dialog box saying there is no site there.

read more at http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,60473,00.html

Thanks to Enyo for this:
For those that want to you can kill this by adding:

127.0.0.1 sitefinder.verisign.com # Block Verisign SiteFinder

to your hosts file or blocking sitefinder.verisign.com with whatever tool you use to filter the web (or do it on your firewall if you really want).

Originally posted by X-Istence
Note to all FireBird users, because of VeriSign being an ass, it is redirecting all typo and mistakes in typing domains to its sitefinder.

This will mean that whenever you visit a site it WILL note popup a dialog box saying there is no site there.

read more at http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,60473,00.html

I use this and never get a dialog box:

*Use error pages instead of dialog messages*

By default, Mozilla Firebird displays annoying error messages if a connection fails, instead of quitely displaying the error information in the browser window as Internet Explorer does. To turn off the error messages and use pages instead, add the following code to your user.js file:

// Instead of annoying error dialog messages, display pages:
user_pref("browser.xul.error_pages.enabled", true);

Note that this feature is still a bit buggy as it removes the last visited page from the Back button history.

from here:
http://texturizer.net/firebird/tips.html#beh_errorpages

Ooooh yeah, for those that don't know... almost forgot. :D

user.js

This is the main preferences file for Mozilla Firebird and is located in your profile folder (see quote below this one). The file does not exist by default, so you need to create it before you can start adding your preferences.

Windows users: If you know how to create a file, just skip this section. Before you can create the file, you must make sure that you can see the file type extensions in Windows. Start Explorer (just click on the My Computer icon on your desktop) and select File > Tools > Folder Options.... Click the View tab and uncheck the Hide extensions for known file types option. Now, go to your profile folder and select File > New > Text Document. The default name "New Text Document.txt" should be displayed. Change the name to "user.js" (click Yes on the file type warning that appears).

Linux users: I assume that you know how to create a file if you're running Linux. Just create user.js in your profile folder.

It's also possible to edit the preferences normally stored in user.js by entering about:config in the address bar and press Enter. You will see a list of all available preferences in Mozilla Firebird (many of them are derived from Mozilla and are not used but not yet removed). Double-click on a preference to change its value. The changes you make here will be immediately stored in prefs.js, which is a file automatically generated by Mozilla Firebird.

The Profile Folder

Before the configuration files are presented, you should know how to find your "profile folder", as it is commonly called. The profile folder is where Mozilla Firebird saves all your settings and refers to a location on your hard drive.

On Windows 95/98/Me, the path is usually C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.slt\, where xxxxxxxx is a random string of 8 characters. Just browse to C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\ and the rest should be obvious.

On Windows 2000/XP, the path is usually %AppData%\Phoenix\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.slt\.

On Linux, the path is usually ~/.phoenix/default/xxxxxxxx.slt.

On MacOS X, the path is usually ~/Library/Phoenix/Profiles/default/xxxxxxxx.slt.

Note: Mozilla Firebird is capable of handling more than one user and thus, more than one profile. The path examples above refers to the default profile that is automatically created when you start Mozilla Firebird for the first time. You can manage any number of profiles by using the Profile Manager.

%AppData% is a shorthand for the Application Data path on Windows 2000/XP. To use it, simply enter %AppData% in a normal Explorer address field and press *Enter*. You will be instantly taken to the "real" folder, which is normally C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data.

Originally posted by gonaads
I use this and never get a dialog box:

*Use error pages instead of dialog messages*

By default, Mozilla Firebird displays annoying error messages if a connection fails, instead of quitely displaying the error information in the browser window as Internet Explorer does. To turn off the error messages and use pages instead, add the following code to your user.js file:

Note that this feature is still a bit buggy as it removes the last visited page from the Back button history.

from here:
http://texturizer.net/firebird/tips.html#beh_errorpages

type http://asdfjsakjdbroughtoyoubyntfs.com/ and you should get presented by sitefinder, verisign's utility.

If you dont, your ISP has blocked it, but i was just letting users know, that any typo they make wont result in a error anymore, but rather in a sitefinder utility.

Now yer startin ta sound like da other X :eek:

*worries* :p

You can block these IPs with your firewall:

That does really help. As it will still return a "valid" domain.

THe problem with this entire thing, is that it is helping spammers out, because now every domain out there has a valid entry for it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back