Far Cry - Silly System Requirements

cryogenic said:
I don't think I'm even going to bother trying to run FarCry until I get more RAM and a new CPU... I have a 2000+ and 512MB Corsair XMS3200LL Ram... UT2004 runs ok, but takes 80 years to load a map. Other computers in my house with the same HD load considerably faster, so the CPU seems to be the major issue (everyone else has 512 and loads a full 45 -90 seconds faster). My video card is perfectly fine (9700 Pro), but I think with my CPU, Far Cry wouldn't run so hot. :(

I use a 2000amd processor and it runs fine.Also no prob w/the audigy sound blaster.The 1G of sdram prob helps though.And it runs fine on my 9700pro.Finished the veterans and tryin to get through the realistic skill level.The realistic is totally unreal!

lol I love all you guys who only have moderately new computers and are like "my computer is really old, there's no way it could play Farcry!"

On my old computer, a Pentium 4, 1.4GHz, 384MB (RDRAM) with a good ol Geforce 2 mx400, I can still manage to get the game going and it's fairly playable. But don't even think you're going to see any hint of the awesome graphics the game was designed with, the gorgeous water reflection replaced with strange solid colours and a lot of the non-critical graphical elements (such as fish) are removed, but for an old system I think that's still fairly respectable. Surprisingly the pixels weren't as distracting as in other games but I'm not sure exactly what the settings were I used.

If you're running low on ram, or even if you have a new video card which is just under the best performing cards, consider turning the graphics down from "very high" to "high" or even down to "medium" or less and and seeing what effect it has on the performance of the game. You just need to find the correct balance between graphics quality/resolution and performance for your individual system to achieve the best possible experience.
...But you have to agree, that game looks seriously amazing with high graphics!

(Note: is anyone else finding that internet explorer often crashes when you try to preview your message? Of course it crashes the only time I didn't copy my message before selecting preview, so naturally this is the second time I am typing this message! :mad: )

Patrick

Just a small correction to the member that said UT2k4 is a dx7 game, well, it's not, its a dx8.1..

The reason for the "lag" is mostly because of the so-called z cull bug that occurs in Far Cry v.1.0 & 1.1. The patch that is out soon, will fix this Z-cull bug, and make your game smooth and nice :)
(over 20% more fps ingame..great? yes :) )

-The info was taken from me, and Far Cry forums

[NVDA owners]
The new FW 61.xx / 62.xx will fix this bug..[/NVDA owners]

Doom said:
I don't think everyone with a sound blaster is affected but I do no that there are quite a few (people have been talking about it a bit on the farcry forum). I know it affects me but not all the time. It's wierd sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. Doesn't matter much now though cause I finished it.

Do you have a link to this forum? I have this problem and I have a augigy 2 platnium. Radeon 9800 pro 256mb, and a 3 ghz P4 with 1 gig of DDR 400 memory. Yet the game gets jerky on default settings.

I found far cry isn't exactly "efficient" in its use of resources... it seems laggy on the best of systems on low settings.... I think that perhaps they should have developed the game a bit more.... but then again I might be a bit more biased since i only tried the demo someone posted on here before the release.

well the computer i used to test it was 2000+ and geforce 2mx and it was a little jaggy but overall it was good loading and performance...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back