Far Cry - Silly System Requirements

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
Hi I have just got far cry which looks to be a very nice game except for one thing its a serious system killer!
I have what i regard to be a high end system not the top but by no means bad
512 of 3500 ddr ram
3200+ cpu
ati 9800 gfx card
but yet i still get poor results in the game even with the settings turned down a few notiches it still stutters.

Where as games like unreal tournament 2004 runs as smooth as glass.
Sorry rant over i just think they could have spent more time tuning their engine.

this game is dx8/9...

ut2k4 is mostly dx7...

undoubtedly there is going to be a performance difference...

the final version which i supose you have is supposed to have better all round performance...

as it stands my game is highly playable (demo) @ 12x10 res with all textures maxed... I suspect same should be the case for you...

a little more system memory might also help...

update your drivers maybe. I have a AIW 9800pro 1gig ddr and a 2800+ cpu and i was getting smooth play on the multiplayer beta with max settings. maybe something is wrong with the retail version though.

yeah its the retail version, i dont know why it is so choppy it strange it runs fine then all of a sudden pauses and even after changing the setting its stil the same really i am using the latest cats

These new games these days require at least a gig of ram. I think that might help.

Hmm, that's a bit strange. I have an XP2600+ , 1.5GB RAM, and a Geforce Ti4600.

While I can't play the retail smoothly with everything maxed out, I can play the game rather smoothly with some of the settings varying from midrange/low/high, most in the middle.

I am about to nip out and grab a copy tho I doubt it will run on my laptop
also gonna get the new csi game and a copy of ff 11 :D

Bit of a spending spree there EP! :)

Damn a gig of ram my ram cost me alot would have to sell it for about £80 though and that takes the nightmare of finding a buyer :(

Electronic Punk said:
I am about to nip out and grab a copy tho I doubt it will run on my laptop
also gonna get the new csi game and a copy of ff 11 :D

if you're going to get FF 11.then get the ps2 version...Square and Sony will make online gameplay better than the pc version...no bugs too.

Square and final fantasy bah their games pail into nothingness compaired to the RPG gods of bioware and black isle :p

far cry needs at least a gb of ram, im considering going from 1gb to 1.5 since getting farcry and battlefield vietnam, the both finish off my 1gb as is :s gameplay is good though, i never looked back from 512mb, windows soon uses up 400mb with AV and firewall running.

I finally manged to get a huge performance increase even before the patch, wanna know my secret.............................. Defraged my computer :D
After that its much quicker able to run lighting, environment and water on very gigh quality with most of the other stuff on high too, get a little casching problems then runs smooth. Still would like a gig of ram but nobody seems interested in my OCZ performance 3500DRR in the trading post

I don't think I'm even going to bother trying to run FarCry until I get more RAM and a new CPU... I have a 2000+ and 512MB Corsair XMS3200LL Ram... UT2004 runs ok, but takes 80 years to load a map. Other computers in my house with the same HD load considerably faster, so the CPU seems to be the major issue (everyone else has 512 and loads a full 45 -90 seconds faster). My video card is perfectly fine (9700 Pro), but I think with my CPU, Far Cry wouldn't run so hot. :(

Farcry works fine with everything set to medium on my Athalon XP 2200 with 512MB RAM. Its slighlty jerky but most things work well at high as well (although maximum is pushing it)

The AI is good though, like the way people take cover behind objects and instead of say just standing behind a tree they actually move around it, and if you get down to one guard you can both end up circling it :D

The enemy is a bit weak in some areas however, if you sprint up a guard tower they do use cover and shoot, but they hung by the bushes and just fired most of the time. (Wheras I would have thought that aggressively rushing the tower would have been a better tactic)

Still there have been some nice chases, such as fleeing into the undergrowth and then stopping to grenade a couple of persuing marines.. as they do actively hunt you if found.

im still stuck on training, hats off to the guys who did the AI in far cry :)

I agree with you GoNz0.. although the thing I really like about the game is that it isn't railroaded.. yes, you do have a storyline to work through but you are not forced around that track and then have to face that jeep with that amount of ammunition, like, for example, Medal of Honour or Call of Duty.

On the first level as such you have do some sneaking through a camp to get something, but your not forced to take it from a certain route, I counted about several different ways you could the mission bit. You can even I bet skip past various encounters if you stick to jungle and even ignore the advice and do it the long foot slogging way.

indyjones said:
Hi I have just got far cry which looks to be a very nice game except for one thing its a serious system killer!
I have what i regard to be a high end system not the top but by no means bad
512 of 3500 ddr ram
3200+ cpu
ati 9800 gfx card
but yet i still get poor results in the game even with the settings turned down a few notiches it still stutters.

Where as games like unreal tournament 2004 runs as smooth as glass.
Sorry rant over i just think they could have spent more time tuning their engine.

My system is almost identical to yours. What sound card are you using? Many people as well as myself find that using a sound blaster (live or audigy) causes alot of the stuttering problems. You can tell when it's affecting you because of the snap, crackle and pop sound that you get in the game. As yet there doesn't seem to be a fix for this.

it runs ok 90% of time on my laptop:

mobile P4 2.8
radeon 9,000
512ddr split with 128 for graphis, rest for system

runs brilliant except when theirs a helicopter????? as soon as i see/turn towards one i get lagged to hell :(

hmmm I have a audigy 2 platinum, i have a little stuttering programs sometimes if there is dialogue at the beginning of a level, athough after a couple of second the game runs fine. I have it in 1024 *768 with all settings on ultra high save, shadows, particles (high) bilinear filtering (not trilinear) anti-alis on minimum. The sound settings are on hardware and 5.1. Save for about 30 seconds the very first time a new level loads the game runs smooth, an my gfx card is a non pro. Compleated it now its a great game :)

I don't think everyone with a sound blaster is affected but I do no that there are quite a few (people have been talking about it a bit on the farcry forum). I know it affects me but not all the time. It's wierd sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. Doesn't matter much now though cause I finished it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back