External Harddrive No Comprende?

FalseIdeasOfLove

Life In A Hospital
Hey guys,

I bought a 250gb maxtor harddrive today along with an external harddrive enclosure and I can't seem to get it to be recognized by my laptop.

I'm not sure what it could be. Does anyone have an ideas?

Hmm, it's recognized now. Now I'm at a standstill because I need to format it. How would I go about this?

Arggh you posted while I was posting.

Right click on my computer, click manage, click disk management, first format the new drive and then partition it.

It will appear as another disk on the system with all the usual options. I just checked it with my external HD.

Last edited:
pardonme bumping onto this one - but I have tried to follow exactly this path with a new drive and enclosure - no joy the format is greyed out - there is an option to "convert to dynamic disc" which i tried - but that does not go through either (I had hoped that if I did that I could then format it). Is this something simple like the run as admin thing? I sure hope so, I am getting sick and tired of frigging with it!

My bad - was obviously a return (GRRrrrr) had to delete a number of partitions including a MBR one then reformat... this was sold to me through Amazon as new boxed! I am not happy - though I am passing the drive along to someone in a caddy I had offered them informal 6 month warranty in confidence that this would be safe - now with an RMA's HD I feel vaguely concerned.....

Run a burn in on it and also see what SMART has to say. If it passes both I would not be worried. Most returns seem ot be operator error.

On the other hand I hope you got a good price since it was used.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back