Encyclopedia of XP tweaks

And this...

Change the Internet Explorer Logo

If you don't like Internet Explorer's animated logo in the upper-right-hand corner -- and lets face it, who needs yet another Microsoft ad staring you in the face -- you can change it to any logo you want.

First, find a logo you like. Then, you'll need to create four separate bitmap images in .bmp format, two that are 22 by 22 pixels, and two that are 38 by 38 pixels, to accommodate the two sizes of the logo. One bitmap in each set will be the static logo, and the other will be used to create the animation effect when the browser is at work. You can create the bitmaps with any graphics program.

After you've created the logos:

1. From a command line or from the Run line, run regedit. This opens the Registry Editor.

2. Select the folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and follow the folder path \SOFTWARE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar.

3. Create two string values named SmallBitmap and BigBitmap and give them each the value of their file name and location, for example, \Windows\smalllogo.bmp. Make sure these are the non-animated bitmaps.

4. Create two string values named SmBrandBitmap and BrandBitmap and give them each the value of their file name and location, for example, \Windows\animatesmalllogo.bmp.

5. Shut down and restart Internet Explorer. Your new logos should now be in place.

This one is probably somewhere in these pages but I looked and got a headache after lookin through around 15 pages. So here is another one. :D

Defragment Boot Files

XP's defragmenter can perform a boot defragment, placing all boot files contiguous to one another so that XP boots faster. The boot defragment option is usually enabled by default, but there's a possibility that it has been disabled, or not properly enabled. If it's not working, chances are XP will boot dog-slow.

To enable it:

1. From a command line or from the Run line, run regedit. This opens the Registry Editor.

2. Select the folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and follow the folder path \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction.

3. Find the string Enable.

4. If the string value is set to N, change it to Y. If it is Y, leave it as it is, since that means boot defragmentation is enabled.

5. Exit the Registry and reboot. When you next defragment your disk, the boot files will be defragmented too.

This one's for all you Gamers. :p

Customize the CPU Cycles Given to Programs and Processes

XP assigns every program and process running on your PC a priority which determines the relative amount of CPU power that it gets compared to other programs. The priorities that XP assigns are: Low, BelowNormal, Normal, AboveNormal, High and Realtime.

Most programs are assigned the Normal priority, but using the Task Manager, you can change the priorities assigned to any process or program. If you've got a lot of applications running, but want one – like a 3D shooter -- to get most of the processor's attention, this can really speed it up.

To change the priority of a running program or process:

1. Run the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Delete.

2. Click on the Processes tab.

3. Right-click on the program or process whose priority you want to change, highlight Set Priority and choose the priority for the program.

When you assign a new priority to a process or program, that new priority sticks only as long as the program or process is running. Once the program or process ends, and you restart it, it defaults to the priority assigned to it by XP.

One more :D

Remove Orphaned Entries in Add or Remove Programs

Sometimes, after you uninstall a program, its entry still remains in the Add or Remove Programs dialog box. When you click on Change/Remove in the dialog box, you get an error, telling you that the program no longer exists. This can be a major headache, if you install and test a lot of different programs.

You can remove these orphan entries:

2. Select the folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and follow the folder path \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall.

3. Click on the + sign to expand the listing.

4. Look for the name of the program with the orphaned entry.

5. Delete the entire listing for the software with the orphaned entry, by highlighting it and pressing the Delete key.

6. Close the Registry. The orphaned entry will be gone.

Note, editing the registry is not for everyone. You can really mess up your system if you have problems. Make sure you back up your registry before doing anything else. You do this by selecting the "Export Registry" option in the Registry menu in RegEdit. Words to live by. :p

Remove "Uninstallable" XP Components

There are a number of Windows components-notably Windows Messenger and WordPad—that don't show up on the list of uninstallable components on the Windows Component Wizard. There's no apparent way to uninstall them. But you can, in fact, remove these components.

XP has a Setup Information file that controls what appears in the Windows Component Wizard. If you edit this file, you can remove these components as you would any others.

To start, use Notepad or another text editor to open the Setup Information file, sysoc.inf, which is generally found in the \WINDOWS\INF folder. Look for the line describing the program that you want to uninstall. Lines in the file have the format:

program=dll.inf entry, OcEntry, program.inf entry, numeral

Programs that are uninstallable all have the word hide or HIDE embedded in the string. Next, delete the word hide from the entry that refers to the component that you want to remove. For example, if you wanted to remove Pinball, you'd edit its entry by changing

Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,HIDE,7

to

Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,,7

Save the sysoc.inf file, then run the Windows Component Wizard by choosing Add or Remove Programs from Control Panel, and clicking on Add/Remove Windows Components. The component will now show up in the wizard. Remove it as you would any other component.

Keep in mind that not all of the entries in sysoc.inf are as easy to understand as Pinball and WordPad. For example, if you want to remove Windows Messenger, edit the entry for msmsgs, and if you want to remove the Accessibility Wizard, edit the entry for AccessOpt. The following is a list of the "uninstallable" programs and what their entries are in the sysoc.inf file.

• Entry ........................... What Entry Refers To
    AccessOpt ................... Accessibility Wizard
    MultiM .......................... Multimedia components, including Media Player, Volume Control, and Sound Recorder
    CommApps ................... Communications components, including Chat, Hyperterminal, and Phone Dialer
    AutoUpdate .................. Windows Automatic Update
    TerminalServer .............. Terminal Server
    Dtc .............................. Distributed Transaction Coordinator
    Com ............................ COM+
    WBEM ......................... Windows Management Instrumentation
    Pinball ......................... Pinball game
    MSWordPad .................. WordPad
    msmsgs ....................... Windows Messenger

Alas, this isn't perfect. on some systems, you simply won't be able to remove Windows Messenger - Windows Messenger won't show up on the Windows Component Wizard even after you edit the sysoc.inf file. And some components such as Terminal Server will show up in the wizard if you edit the sysoc.inf file, but the wizard still won't let you uninstall them.

gonaads, you are on a mission...nice posts

let me ask you this about this portion though;

Alas, this isn't perfect. on some systems, you simply won't be able to remove Windows Messenger

I just used the following, and it still seems to work;

windows key+r , paste;

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

and of course, enter, and restart

Are you set up with XP SP1 or plain XP (be it Home Edition or Pro)?

It might be a prob with first ver of XP. I do know that with the anti-trust suit settlement against MicroSquish it may be easier now with SP1 to uninstal many components. Not sure though... we need someone with multiple versions of XP to try it.

Also if Outlook Express is used they may work together (so I've been told)... not sure though. I don't use it :p

Alternatively, you could use:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Outlook Express]
"Hide Messenger"=dword:00000002

:eek:

im reformatting my system sometime soon.. so i will try out these posts once i set it back up again :)

I was looking on the front page in the xp tweaks section and couldnt see one that looked like it would be it.

James

Here is one of my favorites that doesn't require the task manager or the creation of a specific shortcut for an .exe to run in high priority:

Adding the Tweak Manually...

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell]

1. Verify the following data is set:

Type: REG_SZ
Name: (Default)
Value: open

2. Create a new key titled “XQSHP” (without the quotes) by right-clicking on the left-hand directory column.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\XQSHP]

3. Set the Defualt Entry created with the following Value:

Value: Start &High priority

4. Create a new key titled “Command” (without the quotes) under the newly created “XQSHP” in the left hand directory column.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\XQSHP\Command]

5. Set the Default Entry created with the following Value:

Value: C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe /c start "XQSHP" /high "%1"

The Easy Copy and Paste Version...

@="open"

@="Start &High priority"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\XQSHP\Command]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\cmd.exe /c start \"XQSHP\" /high \"%1\""

The Undo Registry File...

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\XQSHP]

Now you will have a right-click option on any .exe to start the application under a high priority setting.

As posted by smith at bit-quest.com...Wait that's me... :confused: ...Wait that's me... :p

Since I keep no icons on the desktop and the My Computer icon is resting on the quick launch, this tweak works well:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\services]
@=hex(2):53,00,65,00,72,00,76,00,69,00,63,00,65,00,73,00,00,00
"SuppressionPolicy"=dword:4000003c
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\services\command]
@=hex(2):25,00,77,00,69,00,6e,00,64,00,69,00,72,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73, 00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,6d,00,6d,00,63,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00, 65,00,20,00,2f,00,73,00,20,00,25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52, 00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00, 32,00,5c,00,73,00,65,00,72,00,76,00,69,00,63,00,65,00,73,00,2e,00,6d,00,73, 00,63,00,20,00,2f,00,73,00,00,00

Now you can right-click on My Computer and have the Services Console as a "go to" option.

these are nice smith, very nice.

let me ask you something when you get back in here;

which programs do you need to run at high priority, and what benefit are you getting out of this.

thanx

Originally posted by dealer
these are nice smith, very nice.

let me ask you something when you get back in here;

which programs do you need to run at high priority, and what benefit are you getting out of this.

thanx

I'd like to know too. :)

Which do you need? According to Microsoft, taskmgr.exe, winlogon.exe, and csrss.exe to name a few. :sarcastic humor smile:

There is no program that is needed to run under a high priority setting, it lies under personal preference. I use this tweak along with my batch file that eliminates the time and BS of a hardware profile Black Viper will have people do; resulting in the termination of all unnecessary services which I require for day to day tasks and processes. When done, I run my "start" batch file to initiate my services and the processes I want returned to a running state. All this without a restart or slowdown during bootup because I have to select which profile to load.

Now the less ram/ resources I have directed elsewhere, and the more CPU attention I have directed toward my game, the happier I am. But be not deceived, just as the "Gamers Services Tweak" will not give you 300fps, neither will this. However, with less stress and more attention applied to the game, the smoother the game should run.

All I've done, is eliminated the need for multiple batch files associated with different applications as such:

@ ECHO OFF
cd E:\Games\MedalofHonor-Allied
Start /HIGH moh_spearhead.exe

Or the wait for someone to create an .exe replacer that also includes the batch files to run the game in high priority as done for Raven Shield:

Code:
[b][url]http://www.daction.net/downloads/RunRVSHighSetup.exe[/url][/b]

smith, I agree, it's a great resource to have the option.

I was wondering what you needed the option for.

my needs are completely differant then others, and in my world, I haven't needed to change a processor priority.

I was thinking this could come in handy for gamers...I don't game.

interesting though, I do run chess master, and this game has any processor running at 100 percent all of the time.

If I were to write a game, I'm pretty sure I would put processor priority as part of the user interface.

with a warning and disclaimer of course.

it's a very nice tweak, and I have it on my box for if or when I can use it.

I'd like to add a disclaimer though.

if you are going to add a high priority to an activity, your processor might run hotter and longer then you want it to run.

so weigh the benenfit when assigning high priority to a process.

thanx for this contribution smith.

how come it took you so long to get back here?

You know I spend much of my time at Bit-Quest :)

Game developers aren't really too apt to designating a high priority, or I'm just over looking it. The raven shield .exe replacer was out almost a month after the release; so this is something gamers are looking for. Aside from this, I've seen the question listed above go unanswered repetitively, or the response is given with directions for the task manager/batch file method; much more sufficient for me with a simple right-click.

A disclaimer is fine:

ATTENTION: Not meant as a priority replacement for multiple applications!!

:D

This along side my batch file is quite lovely I would say. Maybe more mind than matter of fact, but, it works quite well for me.:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back