Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

ElementalDragon said:
LA: you sure you want a $50 game to "drop" from anywhere? could be kinda damaging.

Padded envelope's :)

ElementalDragon said:
I'm semi-interested in Oblivion.... i'm just hoping there is nowhere NEAR as much running around as there was in Morrowind.

According to the pcgamer uk review you get a horse at the start and you can click on a map to travel to places you've already been instantly - you only have to travel manually to new places or places inbetwen cities/towns.

ElementalDragon said:
off-topic: LA..... did you read the PM i sent you a few days ago?

Which PM?

Ok, so I finally got my hands on the game. First impressions were kind of mixed, as I was experiencing some odd freezing during combat that would last about 5 seconds then go away. After I figured out a workaround for that the game was much better. The graphics are nice, I just wish I could crank them up to max... but my system doesnt have what it takes.

Story wise, its pretty decent although I dont think its as good as Morrowinds, atleast so far. As I get further and do more I will post and maybe some Screen shots.

After a very long wait, I've finally got my hands on a copy of Oblivion. It is just awesome. I really think I am going to enjoy this a lot more than even Morrowind (which is one of my fave games ever). I did need to buy a new graphics card to run it tho!

Having just finished playing World of Warcraft (my first MMORPG), it has become clear on the main difference between MMORPGs and normal RPGs, and how they can both exist alongside each other:

Basically, MMORPGs mean that you can play with friends, and tackle quests that would normally be too hard by playing with someone else, and this is excellent fun, and something that normal RPGs mostly miss out on. However, there is something that normal RPGs have the MMORPGs find almost impossible to implement; long-term/permanent changes to the gaming world as a direct result of your actions. The only thing I didn't like about WoW was that no matter what I did in a quest for whoever, ultimately nothing changed. Everything resets so that others can do the quest. In RPGs like Morrowind, you can affect massive changes to the world, and progress through stages like building your own estate, and if you kill an NPC, they stay dead, unlike in WoW where they just respawn.

So there you go, that's my opinion on why MMORPGs and normal RPGs are both awesome in their own ways!

heh I cant stop playing this game and I've not even really got very far with the main quest. Just started life as an assassin :)

just got to level 23 last night, up to 35 hours its a lot of fun!

sounds great i think i'm going to have to get this, although the fact that aprox's setup isn't up to par bothers me a little.

Right now its a toss up between getting this game or taking my car in for maintenance haha. hmmm which one.

oblivion, patch your car to instant-travel you to places with a loading bar :p

After doing some tweaks I got the game to run at a pretty decent rate. If you end up getting the game I can point you to some good Oblivion tweak threads.

hopefully a 7800gs will run it well?!

my 7800GTX runs it a dream at 1600x1200 :)

gets a bit juddery when fighting by rocks but its fine all other times.

how good is this game really, is it a trudge or is it really that good.

It's very, very beautiful. I mean, as far as a game goes, I don't recall being so impressed since Half Life 2. When you first come out of the imperial sewers ( little spoiler, sorry ) the landscape that hits you is just amazing, I just stood there for a while and watched everything for a minute or two...and then it got darker and started to rain, holy sh!t! My view distance/tree distance is maxed out, 2x smoothing, bloom light, and some other things turned on...runs very well this way on my computer. It slows down when I get a horde of city guards to attack me, but aside from that works very well.

My system;

2.5GB of PC2700/BFG Geforce 6800GT OC/SCSI HDD ( matters? ) but still chugging along on the same XP 2800+

Last edited:
Yes the game is really good, there is not shortage of things to do and places to go. Since dungeons respawn now you will never run out of things to do :)

I am not sure what the performance of a 7800GS is, but I am sure its better than a 6800 GT. So I am sure you will be just fine.

Dangit, I have a Compusa gift cert for $75 but they are all out of stock. I really want to play the game but I want to get it w/ my gift cert :( :D

lancer said:
hopefully a 7800gs will run it well?!

It runs great on mine, the only option I don't have on is HDR, without that almost everything else can be maxed. I did run it with HDR too, and it's still playable but I needed to turn down a few of the other options so I decided that HDR would be my one sacrifice. Still looks utterly brilliant anyway! :)

Been playing it on and off the past few days, currenly around 10 hours in with an archer/thief, and it's been great so far, haven't really touched the main quest yet. Looting is so much fun, the fear of getting caught while making a major heist is excellent :D

The modding community is in full-force over at the Oblivion forums, some of the work people have done to improve the game are very cool :)

Great game runs super on my rig and my kids as well , a fantastic game

Aprox said:
Yes the game is really good, there is not shortage of things to do and places to go. Since dungeons respawn now you will never run out of things to do :)

I am not sure what the performance of a 7800GS is, but I am sure its better than a 6800 GT. So I am sure you will be just fine.
Max draw distance? As far as the key could see in real life... I'm running on my Xbox 360 though, of course. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back