DVI to HDMI no sound

LocKStocK

Smokin & Jokin
Hi, not sure if this is the right section to post in but here goes.
I'm trying to connect my HDTV to one of my 280gtx's using a DVI-HDMI cable.
I've got video feed so far and I'm loving the extended desktop. =)
My problem is I have no audio, I've been searching google but can't find a definite solution.
Some people are saying use an SPDIF cable and other say an optical cable.
There must be someone on here with a similar setup to mine!?:rolleyes:

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Staff member
Political User
i think dvi is just for the video, i have a dvi to hdmi setup and have to use the spdif for audio

LordOfLA

Godlike!
for copper any rca phono to rca phono will do.

For optical you'll want TosLink :)

LocKStocK

Smokin & Jokin
Thanks guys, just what I needed to know.
Which one would you go for? Optical sounds tempting :)

LordOfLA

Godlike!
DVI doesn't carry audio - the ati cards with audio output on the dvi ports added pins somewhere...

Admiral Michael

OSNN Veteran Addict
I know, that is what I was trying to say, they are custom. Regular DVI itself doesn't carry audio.

LocKStocK

Smokin & Jokin
OK, I recieved my cable today but I'm still having sound issues.
I try playing a movie but theres nothing, even if I set the optical SPDIF to default sound device I still don't get any audio feed. Just a loud clicking sound.
Where am I going wrong? :S

LordOfLA

Godlike!
clicking usually means you chose the wrong sound format for your receiving device.

LocKStocK

Smokin & Jokin
hey lord, I'm literally kicking myself. I forgot to connect the two pin spdif cable from the graphics card to the motherboard.
The only problem now is the cable won't reach my second card xD
Will I see a drop in performance if I ran both monitors on the same card?

Petros

Thief IV
hey lord, I'm literally kicking myself. I forgot to connect the two pin spdif cable from the graphics card to the motherboard.
The only problem now is the cable won't reach my second card xD
Will I see a drop in performance if I ran both monitors on the same card?
Nothing noticeable. I've been running two monitors for years.

Aprox

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
Check the graphics card, there could be SPDIF header on the PCB itself. If this is the case then you will need to connect this to either your sound card via a coaxial cable routed into the case or the sound card might have a SPDIF header on the it's PCB similar to the video card which you can just connect them directly to each other. If you don't use a sound card and just rely on onboard audio then there is most likely a SPDIF header on your motherboard.

How to Use The SPDIF Connector Available on GeForce Video Cards | Hardware Secrets

LocKStocK

Smokin & Jokin
Thank you all for your help. I've just watched Akira in 1080p, the video and audio quality was fantastic :)

Members online

Latest profile posts

It might seem a no-brainer when you’re asked about the meal of fishes. But, you would really feel excited to know the food habits of different species. Before going deep into the in-depth information, you should know about the types of fishes according to their food habit. if you want to know about What do Fish Eat Please go this site. hardenshoes.com/what-do-fish-eat
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaynersmithjayne