DVI to HDMI no sound

LocKStocK

Smokin & Jokin
Hi, not sure if this is the right section to post in but here goes.
I'm trying to connect my HDTV to one of my 280gtx's using a DVI-HDMI cable.
I've got video feed so far and I'm loving the extended desktop. =)
My problem is I have no audio, I've been searching google but can't find a definite solution.
Some people are saying use an SPDIF cable and other say an optical cable.
There must be someone on here with a similar setup to mine!?:rolleyes:

i think dvi is just for the video, i have a dvi to hdmi setup and have to use the spdif for audio

thanks for the reply, can you supply a link to the cable I need?

for copper any rca phono to rca phono will do.

For optical you'll want TosLink :)

Thanks guys, just what I needed to know.
Which one would you go for? Optical sounds tempting :)

DVI doesn't carry audio - the ati cards with audio output on the dvi ports added pins somewhere...

I know, that is what I was trying to say, they are custom. Regular DVI itself doesn't carry audio.

OK, I recieved my cable today but I'm still having sound issues.
I try playing a movie but theres nothing, even if I set the optical SPDIF to default sound device I still don't get any audio feed. Just a loud clicking sound.
Where am I going wrong? :S

clicking usually means you chose the wrong sound format for your receiving device.

hey lord, I'm literally kicking myself. I forgot to connect the two pin spdif cable from the graphics card to the motherboard.
The only problem now is the cable won't reach my second card xD
Will I see a drop in performance if I ran both monitors on the same card?

hey lord, I'm literally kicking myself. I forgot to connect the two pin spdif cable from the graphics card to the motherboard.
The only problem now is the cable won't reach my second card xD
Will I see a drop in performance if I ran both monitors on the same card?
Nothing noticeable. I've been running two monitors for years.

Check the graphics card, there could be SPDIF header on the PCB itself. If this is the case then you will need to connect this to either your sound card via a coaxial cable routed into the case or the sound card might have a SPDIF header on the it's PCB similar to the video card which you can just connect them directly to each other. If you don't use a sound card and just rely on onboard audio then there is most likely a SPDIF header on your motherboard.

How to Use The SPDIF Connector Available on GeForce Video Cards | Hardware Secrets

Thank you all for your help. I've just watched Akira in 1080p, the video and audio quality was fantastic :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back