DVD-RW/ Hard Drive on the same IDE line?

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
Joined
21 Apr 2004
Messages
1,818
Would there be any issue with a HD on the same IDE line as a dvd/cd drive?
 
Not anymore. In the old days the CD/DVD would slow down the IDE line but they have gotten past that.

If the HD is your boot drive put it ID 0 to avoid any issues.
 
My main drive is SATA, i have plenty of sata connections, but the drive is just ide, so it should be ok?

Yes. You'll have plenty of coffee coasters for guests 🙂

Ha, i got like 6 extra old HD's just around too!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My main drive is SATA, i have plenty of sata connections, but the drive is just ide, so it should be ok?

I always split the devices when on p-ata. Drives on one cable, optical on the other 🙂

Now, everything I have is s-ata so it doesn't matter.

I guess your setup should be fine from what you are describing.
 
If it is slow, you could always buy a sata dvd drive, they are pretty cheap these days.
 
Failurebydesign,

I have three machines downstairs that are setup like that, no problems from any of them.


Heeter
 
Heeter, would those ide to sata work ok with a dvd drive too?
 
i use newegg all the time, im looking for advice not products at the moment! Thanks though!
 
I only meant to look on NewEgg to see if those IDE to SATA specifically say they work with DVD drives, as you asked, and to caution you that some might while other's might not so that you didn't end up getting one that didn't by accident if you happened to buy one later on.
 
I only meant to look on NewEgg to see if those IDE to SATA specifically say they work with DVD drives, as you asked, and to caution you that some might while other's might not so that you didn't end up getting one that didn't by accident if you happened to buy one later on.

ok gotcha! I got confused...I'm just going to order a sata dvdrw to make my project work smoother! Thanks for ur advice and welcome to the forum.
 
ok gotcha! I got confused...I'm just going to order a sata dvdrw to make my project work smoother! Thanks for ur advice and welcome to the forum.

Any time. I would probably go that route as well. To heck with adapters, go straight to the source.

Thanks for the welcome!
 
You may want to double check in your BIOS that both your hard drive and your DVD-RW are set to DMA mode 5. The main problem with having the two of them on the same line was that most CD-Rom readers in the past would be PIO mode only, whereas the hard drive would be DMA.
 
You may want to double check in your BIOS that both your hard drive and your DVD-RW are set to DMA mode 5.

I think you meant check that both are set to DMA, not specifically DMA mode 5. I'm not saying they don't exist, but I've never seen an optical drive that used DMA mode 5. Most use mode 2, and I've seen some that use mode 4.

Not meaning to be picky, just trying to be clear.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
62,021
Messages
673,242
Members
5,642
Latest member
osipov
Back
Top