DVD-RW/ Hard Drive on the same IDE line?

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
Would there be any issue with a HD on the same IDE line as a dvd/cd drive?

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
Not anymore. In the old days the CD/DVD would slow down the IDE line but they have gotten past that.

If the HD is your boot drive put it ID 0 to avoid any issues.

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
My main drive is SATA, i have plenty of sata connections, but the drive is just ide, so it should be ok?

Yes. You'll have plenty of coffee coasters for guests :)

Ha, i got like 6 extra old HD's just around too!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sazar

Rest In Peace
My main drive is SATA, i have plenty of sata connections, but the drive is just ide, so it should be ok?

I always split the devices when on p-ata. Drives on one cable, optical on the other :)

Now, everything I have is s-ata so it doesn't matter.

I guess your setup should be fine from what you are describing.

Basekid

OSNN Junior Addict
If it is slow, you could always buy a sata dvd drive, they are pretty cheap these days.

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Failurebydesign,

I have three machines downstairs that are setup like that, no problems from any of them.

Heeter

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
Heeter, would those ide to sata work ok with a dvd drive too?

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
i use newegg all the time, im looking for advice not products at the moment! Thanks though!

roirraW "edor" ehT

Builder/Installer
I only meant to look on NewEgg to see if those IDE to SATA specifically say they work with DVD drives, as you asked, and to caution you that some might while other's might not so that you didn't end up getting one that didn't by accident if you happened to buy one later on.

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
I only meant to look on NewEgg to see if those IDE to SATA specifically say they work with DVD drives, as you asked, and to caution you that some might while other's might not so that you didn't end up getting one that didn't by accident if you happened to buy one later on.

ok gotcha! I got confused...I'm just going to order a sata dvdrw to make my project work smoother! Thanks for ur advice and welcome to the forum.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Builder/Installer
ok gotcha! I got confused...I'm just going to order a sata dvdrw to make my project work smoother! Thanks for ur advice and welcome to the forum.

Any time. I would probably go that route as well. To heck with adapters, go straight to the source.

Thanks for the welcome!

X-Istence

Political Access
You may want to double check in your BIOS that both your hard drive and your DVD-RW are set to DMA mode 5. The main problem with having the two of them on the same line was that most CD-Rom readers in the past would be PIO mode only, whereas the hard drive would be DMA.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Builder/Installer
You may want to double check in your BIOS that both your hard drive and your DVD-RW are set to DMA mode 5.

I think you meant check that both are set to DMA, not specifically DMA mode 5. I'm not saying they don't exist, but I've never seen an optical drive that used DMA mode 5. Most use mode 2, and I've seen some that use mode 4.

Not meaning to be picky, just trying to be clear.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.
Terrahertz wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Yo fellas!
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Where are you buddy?
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey EP! All good with me, applying for Microsoft MVP right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by coming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moussa021