DVD Ripping -- Bitrate?

X-Istence

Political Access
I don't know where to put this, and since i am doing this on a Mac i thought it would fit here best.

I am using a utility called Handbrake which can do DVD ripping on the Mac OS X, and was wondering what bit rate do you all suggest?

I have been trying with 1024, but it is causing blocks to appear in scenes where there is a lot of bright light (Blowtorching, Movie: SWAT), or there is a lot of action (Cheering, Movie: Dodgeball).

What bit rate do you all suggest? I am trying to keep the movies below 2 GB, but as long as it is quality i really don't care.

I am using mp4 as the container, with mpeg4 as the codec, with AAC as the sound codec.

Sound quality is superb, it is the image quality which matters most to me. Are there any people here that have done this before and know how it works, and what works best?

Thank you,
J-W Regeer

P.S. All movies are legal, i am doing this to create a digital library to put on our digital movie theater (Okay, so it is not that big, but it has a PC hooked up to a HDTV, and it contains no DVD drive, plus we want multiple movies easily accessable from the thing itself, without having to look for DVD's as that is a nightmare in this household) THe PC itself has 4 HD's of 360 GB each. All IDE, at 7200 RPM, just copying from the DVD's straight to a folder works as well with the software i am using, but i would like to slink it down from 6 - 10 GB per movie to approx 2. We own almost 300 DVD's.

If you want quality you have to do a 1:1 RIP. By definition a bit rate reduction reduces quality. That said.

I have some 2 gig RIPs and they do exhibit blotchyness occasionally. I use DVD shrink for my backups and it will usually drop the image data to about 85% to fit on a 1 layer DVD +rw. (Commercial DVDs are Dual Layer) At that level I see no significant loss of data.

A shame you are on the MAC. I can recommend the tools to squeeze the files for Intel Machines:
DVD Shrink - manually or auto select the desired final size.
IFO Edit - lets you remove udeless garbage like foreign languages.
DVD Decryptor - for those stuborn files.

But if you want quality plan on 3-4 gig per movie.

yeah leejend is right, but i just usually copy the entire dvd to a dvdr single layer, u can barely tell a difference i just like to have everything the original dvd had, soon we wont have to compensate though because of dual layer, but its expensive right now so no point in buying them, give it some time :p until then just chillout and dont copy anything jk

themafia_69 said:
yeah leejend is right, but i just usually copy the entire dvd to a dvdr single layer, u can barely tell a difference i just like to have everything the original dvd had, soon we wont have to compensate though because of dual layer, but its expensive right now so no point in buying them, give it some time :p until then just chillout and dont copy anything jk
actually dual layer is out, i already have 2 dual layer blank dvds and i already burnt one of them, they're about 8 to 9 dollars each

LeeJend said:
If you want quality you have to do a 1:1 RIP. By definition a bit rate reduction reduces quality. That said.

I have some 2 gig RIPs and they do exhibit blotchyness occasionally. I use DVD shrink for my backups and it will usually drop the image data to about 85% to fit on a 1 layer DVD +rw. (Commercial DVDs are Dual Layer) At that level I see no significant loss of data.

A shame you are on the MAC. I can recommend the tools to squeeze the files for Intel Machines:

But if you want quality plan on 3-4 gig per movie.

Why is it a shame i am on the Mac? With Handbrake, i can select what title i want from the DVD, i get to choose a language. Unfortunatly no choice for subtitles, but taht is okay. it uses the opensource libdvdcssread so it is able to decode DVD's from any region at all.

Second, i DONT want to burn them to DVD's after ripping them. All i want to do is use my 1440 GB of datastorage available wisely. Like i said in my origional post, we have around 300+ DVD's, which at 2 GB each would allready use up more than 600+ GB. My dad buys DVD's at the rate of 2 or 3 a weekend, so soon we are going to have over 400, and then 500, 600, 700, so i want to use the space wisely.

All i asked was what bitrate you used, not what programs, or why doing it on Intel was better. I am on Mac OS X, check handbrake screenshots out: http://handbrake.m0k.org/screenshots.php . If you know something that simple which works on FreeBSD/Linux (Which BTW is your Intel, yet i know DVD Shrink certainly does not run on either of them), or Mac OS X, let me know.

FishBoy said:
actually dual layer is out, i already have 2 dual layer blank dvds and i already burnt one of them, they're about 8 to 9 dollars each
i didnt say it wasnt out, i said when its cheaper

If your done your "Mac rules the world rant"...

I answered your question on what compression ratio to use to get a blotch free result. And in addition, provided advise on how to minimize the size of the actual movie files by removing useless content from the DVD. I'm sorry you don't feel that anyone else reading this thread might have benefited from the additional information.

I now understand that with Mac users it's all about "Me and My Mac" so I won't waste my time answering posts from Mac users anymore.

you did not answer my question. Please point out, where in the above post it anywhere said: "I personally rip at 2048, but it all depends on the size i want to get, with 2 GB files i get an approximate bitrate of 1500, and i have yet to see that much blotchiness, you could try enabling 2 pass encoding to get better rips".

That is an answer i got from the handbrake mailling list, and another place. Here all i get is bulløøøø about how i am ranting about macs ruling the world, well you know what LeeJend, you only mentioned software that runs on Windows. I don't care. I specified what i had, there is no øøøøing point in pointing me from the door to the wall just because i don't run what mainstream runs.

I havn't played with it much as i don't like any loss of quality, but i've done a few and 2000 to 2500, tends to produce acceptable results for me

LeeJend said:

*fans fire*

this is the macintosh forum section, tbh most people who post here are going to be primarily concerned with mac hardware and software and not windows hardware and software aside from the odd interoperability issues every now and then

Unneccesary post LeeJend, and I agree that you really didn't answer his question to begin with.

X, I used HandBrake once and ended up finding another app that suited me better, so I really can't tell you the best bitrate for your situation. If I come across something then I'll let you know. :)

i think the bitrate for a regular DVD movie is 6500, so in saying that you can see a compression to 1024 is a bit much.

What i would suggest is experimenting with one movie for instance go from 6500 down until you get the best results and then just use that bitrate, use an action film so you get a good spectrum. This is the best advice for what you need. :)

Oh and PC's are so much better haha ..... joke (well kinda) :)

Go to this link i think it may help with what you need, not to sure on this stuff so fingers crossed.

http://www.videohelp.com/calc.htm

I am ripping now at 2048, with 2 pass encoding on. And i am getting file sizes at around 1 GB per hour. So for 2 hours and 3 minutes, i get a file size of approx 2.5 Gb, which is a tradeoff i am willing to make.

The qaulity is excellent, and most people can not see the difference between the DVD and the movie that is ripped.

I tested this with Bad Boys II, Van Wilder, Dodge Ball, Pirates of the Caribean, and all of them show no sign of quality loss at all.

The blotchiness only happens every so often, but only i seem to notice it, as it lasts max for two seconds, and only i notice it as i have seen those sections of the DVD so many times that i can descibe pixel by pixel what is going on :p.

So 2048, 2 pass encoding, MP4 as the format, with FFmpeg as the encoder using MPEG-4 (Quicktime compliant, and VLC compliant).

Just incase anyone is wondering, on my Athlon 2000+ it only takes an avg of 4 hours per movie, when encoding from the HD (I copy each movie to the HD for faster second pass, as my DVD drive is slow, so it is a speed/time advantage).

Handbrake IMHO is one of the best programs for ripping i have found. DVD::Rip is nothing compared to this (Other than that DVD::Rip has different features).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back