DUDE WTF?! Programs dont work?!!!

You are going to wipe EVERYTHING off your OS partition of your hard drive (if you have partitions). It will be totally blank when you are done. You will lose everything.

So,

Back up everything first.

You will need to set your BIOS to check the cd drive for a boot cd first before it goes to the hard drive.

Put the xp cd in the drive and reboot. Hit Any Key when it tells you to Hit Any Key.

Once xp loads itself into memory, it will present you with options to re-format and re-install (I don't know the terminology offhand but it's pretty clear)

DON'T rush into this!! Once you have reformatted, you will have to re-install xp and ALL YOUR PROGRAMS, and all your hardware drivers, and all your backed up files, and.... (everything). You are starting from scratch.

take your time and do it right.

kip

When Norton "fixes stuff" it makes a backup incase of a problem.

Open norton windoctor (if the icon doesn't work do a
start search find files then type in windoc.exe double click the file name if you are lucky and it is found.

Click the bottom button and you may be able to "unfix stuff". Slect all the things it messed with and click the undo icon at top.

If this doesn't do it. You will have to reinstall all your software because what Norton did was delete all the pointers to wherethe programs are. At that point oyu might as well reinstal windows and everything else. Make a nice clean home for your 9700.

BTW if you ever see a loaded gun lying around, walk the other direction...

Good luck.

just reinstall norton..if thats the only case...if its the norton.exe..then somehow it got corrupt....usually if a gif or other file gets that way...you can right click on the file...while holding down the shift key..and choose "open with"..then browse to the program you want to open it with..and check the box.."always use the select program to open this kind of file"....then you associated it...but if its a .exe file..then reinstalling should fix it

Reinstall Norton, if that doesn't work, clean install.

I've never seen anyone panic as much as DM does over a computer problem, it's not the first time :p

Well, for one, it sounds like the default action for .exe's has been changed from Open to Run as.... There's probably a registry edit you can do to fix this. (Anyone know?) I say you put in the XP cd, boot off of it, and it should notice that you already have XP installed. It will ask you if you want to do a Repair. Say yes and it should go through and recheck and reload the windows files. Do NOT do the Recovery Console (that's not what you need for this). If it works, plug in your Radeon and get it running. I would then probably reformat.

Reformatting erases everything from your computer so you can install a fresh copy of Windows.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back