drive letter in xp

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political User
Installed xp for a buddy, we partitioned the drive so he could back up some files..anyways..the back drive turned into c drive and the new xp install became d. I deleted c which cause the ntldr error..i did what this says

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

and it worked. But windows is still drive d: when i try to change it, windows wont let me..i need to use partition magic, but it freaks out..any ideas?

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political User
ok ok, so i just merged the partitions and now when i go to boot i get error loading operating system..any ideas? the cd doesnt offer the system repair....

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
Your boot.ini file is likely wrong now. It is looking for Windows on the second partition which no longer exists after the merger.

You can attempt to edit boot.ini and change the partition from 1 to 0.

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political User
how is that done? i took the drive out of the pc, installed it in mine as a slave..i cant see anything..it says i need to format..but i cant loose some stuff on there..any way to repair the drive without a format? when i put the xp cd it it just gives me an option to install...not repair...ugg...

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
Merging doesn't work all that well in XP. Merging came about (native to Windows) in 2003 and now Vista. If you can't see it as a slave/secondary drive then I am assuming the merge caused corruption.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut