drive letter in xp

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
Installed xp for a buddy, we partitioned the drive so he could back up some files..anyways..the back drive turned into c drive and the new xp install became d. I deleted c which cause the ntldr error..i did what this says

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

and it worked. But windows is still drive d: when i try to change it, windows wont let me..i need to use partition magic, but it freaks out..any ideas?

(To my knowledge) you cannot change the drive letter of the Windows/system drive.

ok ok, so i just merged the partitions and now when i go to boot i get error loading operating system..any ideas? the cd doesnt offer the system repair....

Your boot.ini file is likely wrong now. It is looking for Windows on the second partition which no longer exists after the merger.

You can attempt to edit boot.ini and change the partition from 1 to 0.

how is that done? i took the drive out of the pc, installed it in mine as a slave..i cant see anything..it says i need to format..but i cant loose some stuff on there..any way to repair the drive without a format? when i put the xp cd it it just gives me an option to install...not repair...ugg...

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS - in boot.ini

i was responding to the question you asked matt about the boot ini

Merging doesn't work all that well in XP. Merging came about (native to Windows) in 2003 and now Vista. If you can't see it as a slave/secondary drive then I am assuming the merge caused corruption.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back