• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Do you use newsfeeds?

I was just curious to see how many people here at OSNN subscribe to newsfeeds in any form - RSS aggregators, KlipFolio etc. - and what feeds you go through regularly.

Personally, I use the RSS Reader panel extension for Firefox to manage all my feeds. It's a really convenient way to see just the headlines and, sometimes, a short excerpt of the news stories posted on all the sites I regularly visit.

SPeedY_B said:
I use NetNewsWire, doesn't seem to like the OSNN RDF Feeds though :\
Yeah, the VirtuaNews backend RDF feed shows up in the Firefox RSS Reader, but there are no news excerpts, just the titles. Same is the case with Neowin, and some other sites.

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
They have random tags in there for Klipfolio which borks things for other readers.

RDF is more complex than RSS. RSS is uber-simple which is probably why some readers won't display it properly.

L

Lee

I used to use the BBC ticker tape, a couple of years back, don't anymore as I don't trust them to tell me news that is factual and not 'sexed' up!

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political User
Speedy: I might well be able to fix that, have done alot of work on looking into virtuanews modules and might well make some changes to the system.

SPeedY_B

Electronic Punk said:
Speedy: I might well be able to fix that, have done alot of work on looking into virtuanews modules and might well make some changes to the system.
If viable, it would probably be best for us to have an RSS feed alongside the current (more complex) RDF feed which we have.

SPeedY_B

Yeah that's what I mean, a nice simple RSS2.0 feed should work with almost anything. Could make the current/old one absolutely klipolio compatible then (if there's anything currently in it that's not essential for the klip for example)

SPeedY_B

We're working on them, basically they work until someone posts news with dodgy characters in, which we either need to remove, or actually make the RDF parser remove.

Not sure if a quick htmlspecialchars(); on the lot would help or not though :confused:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies