• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Do CPU Shims work?

D

Digerati

Just wondering if little copperalloy CPU shims do anything worthwhile for AthlonXP cpus?

Krux

Nissan Powered
yah they can stop you from cracking your core, they can keep a vibrating hsf from ratling all over your core, but I don't know if they actually help cool the cpu. I personally use one but I use it for the first two reason. think of it as 2 dallor insurance that u won't chip your core putting your hsf on. worth it in my book.

Taurus

hardware monkey
i was a firm believer and user of shims for about a year... then one day while i was messing around and trying a different cpu, i put my old one back in and forgot to put my shim in under the heatsink. i went ahead and booted up anyway and have been getting the lowest temps i've ever seen. about 5° cooler than before.

i think, in my case, that the shim wasn't letting the heatsink sit on the core tightly enough to get good thermal conductivity. and i understand amd currently advises against using shims for this same reason.

so, i think the only instance i'll ever build a comp with a shim is if it's going to be transported a lot. it will help keep the heatsink from being jolted around and falling off or crushing the core. i should also try a different shim from a different manufacturer.

lastly, most places sell 2 different shims... depending on what core your athlon has.

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
Originally posted by taurus
i was a firm believer and user of shims for about a year... then one day while i was messing around and trying a different cpu, i put my old one back in and forgot to put my shim in under the heatsink. i went ahead and booted up anyway and have been getting the lowest temps i've ever seen. about 5° cooler than before.

i think, in my case, that the shim wasn't letting the heatsink sit on the core tightly enough to get good thermal conductivity. and i understand amd currently advises against using shims for this same reason.

so, i think the only instance i'll ever build a comp with a shim is if it's going to be transported a lot. it will help keep the heatsink from being jolted around and falling off or crushing the core. i should also try a different shim from a different manufacturer.

lastly, most places sell 2 different shims... depending on what core your athlon has.
amd does not suggest usage of shims for only their newer cpu's because of thermal reasons...

a cpu shim is basically a SPACER and as krux said... I use it basically as insurance against crushing one of the rubber struts and killing my core...

I do advise all my m8's whose computer I put together (with lower end amd cpu's) to get a shim so as to prvent damage..

it is not required and I really don't see it disipating heat more/less... but if you do get a slightly BENT shim... you will have problems... :)

make sure if you are using it you know what you are doing...

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
Originally posted by Geffy
I dont use a shim, never have
you don't need to use a shim... I just recommend it as a matter of safety for the lower end cpu's from amd... it is not needed... for sure...

but it doesn't do any harm if you know what yiu are doing either :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ernestrojasn