Do CPU Shims work?

D

Digerati

Just wondering if little copperalloy CPU shims do anything worthwhile for AthlonXP cpus?

yah they can stop you from cracking your core, they can keep a vibrating hsf from ratling all over your core, but I don't know if they actually help cool the cpu. I personally use one but I use it for the first two reason. think of it as 2 dallor insurance that u won't chip your core putting your hsf on. worth it in my book.

i was a firm believer and user of shims for about a year... then one day while i was messing around and trying a different cpu, i put my old one back in and forgot to put my shim in under the heatsink. i went ahead and booted up anyway and have been getting the lowest temps i've ever seen. about 5° cooler than before.

i think, in my case, that the shim wasn't letting the heatsink sit on the core tightly enough to get good thermal conductivity. and i understand amd currently advises against using shims for this same reason.

so, i think the only instance i'll ever build a comp with a shim is if it's going to be transported a lot. it will help keep the heatsink from being jolted around and falling off or crushing the core. i should also try a different shim from a different manufacturer.

lastly, most places sell 2 different shims... depending on what core your athlon has.

Originally posted by taurus
i was a firm believer and user of shims for about a year... then one day while i was messing around and trying a different cpu, i put my old one back in and forgot to put my shim in under the heatsink. i went ahead and booted up anyway and have been getting the lowest temps i've ever seen. about 5° cooler than before.

i think, in my case, that the shim wasn't letting the heatsink sit on the core tightly enough to get good thermal conductivity. and i understand amd currently advises against using shims for this same reason.

so, i think the only instance i'll ever build a comp with a shim is if it's going to be transported a lot. it will help keep the heatsink from being jolted around and falling off or crushing the core. i should also try a different shim from a different manufacturer.

lastly, most places sell 2 different shims... depending on what core your athlon has.

amd does not suggest usage of shims for only their newer cpu's because of thermal reasons...

a cpu shim is basically a SPACER and as krux said... I use it basically as insurance against crushing one of the rubber struts and killing my core...

I do advise all my m8's whose computer I put together (with lower end amd cpu's) to get a shim so as to prvent damage..

it is not required and I really don't see it disipating heat more/less... but if you do get a slightly BENT shim... you will have problems... :)

make sure if you are using it you know what you are doing...

Originally posted by Geffy
I dont use a shim, never have

you don't need to use a shim... I just recommend it as a matter of safety for the lower end cpu's from amd... it is not needed... for sure...

but it doesn't do any harm if you know what yiu are doing either :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back