• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Disabling "Set As Desktop Background"

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
hmmmmMMM Posting here just to seond that question and get myself subscribed to this thread...

I am curious and think if it is not tweakable as such should be.... M$ should even make it a visible option - because in a corporate situation this is just about the most of a gimme as something most corporate desktops would like "locked down" even if they are not slipstreaming and net installing crippled and customised installs anyway....

So post up - I wanna hear too.... Surely tweakable.... :ermm::devious:;)

Khayman

I'm sorry Hal...
Political User
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"NoDispBackgroundPage"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop]
"NoChangingWallpaper"=dword:00000001

prinsipe

Not Too eXPerienced
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"NoDispBackgroundPage"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop]
"NoChangingWallpaper"=dword:00000001
Thanks for the reply but since I am not too familiar with regedit could you please make a step by step instruction how to do it? I would really appreciate it, i hope you will be patient enough to elaborate coz I dont want to mess up with my PC, thanks again

Khayman

I'm sorry Hal...
Political User
As always, backup the reg before changing it,

as a simple way of doing it, open a command prompt (start->run-> type "cmd" no quotes)
and copy/paste / type this in

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop /v NoChangingWallpaper /t REG_DWORD /d 1

try just that one first, may not need the other one.

prinsipe

Not Too eXPerienced
I have done it, but all it did was to remove the "Desktop" Tab from the display properties window. changing wallpaper is still available via right clicking a picture file then seelecting Set As Desktop Background

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
That will, by design, remove the Desktop tab from the Display Properties. If you want to remove the option to do so via a right-click, you should try his second option. And, fwiw (for what it's worth), I would recommend setting this at the HKLM level so that it's a global change.

So, try this:

Start - Run - copy and paste these into the dialog box and hit enter after each one. Remember to backup the registry before doing it and reboot to apply the changes -

reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop /v NoChangingWallpaper /t REG_DWORD /d 1

reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v NoDispBackgroundPage /t REG_DWORD /d 1

jimi_81

Political User
Googling, I found this:
The menu you get when you right click a image viewed in thumbnail,
Set as desktop background is in the registry (Start > run, type in regedit)
The information in there should be:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache

Value Name: @shell32.dll,-31289
Value Data: Set as desktop background
So.. remove this entire entry?
use at your own risk i guess.. or backup!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keithgonzaal