Disabling "Set As Desktop Background"

prinsipe

Not Too eXPerienced
guys, do you know how to Disable the "Set As Desktop Background" feature?
thanks for any help.......

hmmmmMMM Posting here just to seond that question and get myself subscribed to this thread...

I am curious and think if it is not tweakable as such should be.... M$ should even make it a visible option - because in a corporate situation this is just about the most of a gimme as something most corporate desktops would like "locked down" even if they are not slipstreaming and net installing crippled and customised installs anyway....

So post up - I wanna hear too.... Surely tweakable.... :ermm::devious:;)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"NoDispBackgroundPage"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop]
"NoChangingWallpaper"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"NoDispBackgroundPage"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop]
"NoChangingWallpaper"=dword:00000001

Thanks for the reply but since I am not too familiar with regedit could you please make a step by step instruction how to do it? I would really appreciate it, i hope you will be patient enough to elaborate coz I dont want to mess up with my PC, thanks again

As always, backup the reg before changing it,

as a simple way of doing it, open a command prompt (start->run-> type "cmd" no quotes)
and copy/paste / type this in

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop /v NoChangingWallpaper /t REG_DWORD /d 1

try just that one first, may not need the other one.

I have done it, but all it did was to remove the "Desktop" Tab from the display properties window. changing wallpaper is still available via right clicking a picture file then seelecting Set As Desktop Background

That will, by design, remove the Desktop tab from the Display Properties. If you want to remove the option to do so via a right-click, you should try his second option. And, fwiw (for what it's worth), I would recommend setting this at the HKLM level so that it's a global change.

So, try this:

Start - Run - copy and paste these into the dialog box and hit enter after each one. Remember to backup the registry before doing it and reboot to apply the changes -

reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop /v NoChangingWallpaper /t REG_DWORD /d 1

reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v NoDispBackgroundPage /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Followed your advices, the feature is still very much available

Googling, I found this:
The menu you get when you right click a image viewed in thumbnail,
Set as desktop background is in the registry (Start > run, type in regedit)
The information in there should be:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache

Value Name: @shell32.dll,-31289
Value Data: Set as desktop background

So.. remove this entire entry?
use at your own risk i guess.. or backup!

Googling, I found this:

So.. remove this entire entry?
use at your own risk i guess.. or backup!
Should always do a backup when working with the registry ;)

Are these machines on a domain by any chance?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back