Desktop Resurrection - Productivity Powerhouse

I stopped using the quicklaunch years ago, I don't know why, but I just did.

With all this alias raving I'm almost convinced to set them up, even though I've repeatedly said I wouldn't. I realize that I use the run command a lot, and although setting the aliases up in WDS would save a couple seconds, it just seems more convenient.

The more advanced stuff like searching for "wiki monkeys" is wicked cool. Does this open up IE or your default browser?

As for my start menu, I've attached it to see one possible way you could set it up.

I've done basically what matt does.

As for the all programs list, I deleted all the individual program folders and just setup up one large list.

Attachments

• startmenu.jpg
    startmenu.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 77
  • allprograms.jpg
    allprograms.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 130
Grandmaster said:
I stopped using the quicklaunch years ago, I don't know why, but I just did.

With all this alias raving I'm almost convinced to set them up, even though I've repeatedly said I wouldn't. I realize that I use the run command a lot, and although setting the aliases up in WDS would save a couple seconds, it just seems more convenient.

The more advanced stuff like searching for "wiki monkeys" is wicked cool. Does this open up IE or your default browser?

As for my start menu, I've attached it to see one possible way you could set it up.

I've done basically what matt does.

As for the all programs list, I deleted all the individual program folders and just setup up one large list.

That is rather interesting. I have loved and used quicklaunch for quite some time because when I multi-task, I want quick access to programs. Your approach - deleting the folders and creating your own custom list with just the .exe, may also be a good choice.

NetRyder said:
That's one part of it, yes.

You can do other fun stuff with aliasing too - set up shortcuts to URLs that you can pass arguments to. For example, entering "wiki monkeys" into the deskbar would fire up your browser and bring up the Wikipedia article about monkeys. Or "maps pizza" could be used to bring up all the pizza places near your house on your preferred online mapping service.

Interesting trick, although I don't believe I run searches that frequently. And besides, all the numbers for pizza places near where I live are on my cell phone via speedial :D

Grandmaster said:
Default browser. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back