• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Desktop replacement situation?

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
whilst my main rig is out of action I have plugged mouse and keyboard over to Notebook - and Emachines 5100 series.

Was wondering if I could expend this to my 19" AOC TFT, if to make that work I need to be able to select it as primary display and thereby close lid on my Emachines... Having no experience there I thought i would ask you guys - any ideas for my line of machine? I am sure some can do this, have heard of a hack for Powerbooks too...

Hope someone can help - will make things a little more bearable until I can fix my good machine! :(

Xie

- geek -
Easy way to tell if you can is to check for vga port. If you got one should be able to just connect the monitor and boot up the laptop I believe. If I remember it didn't matter if the lid was open or closed on my *cough*Gateway*cough*. :)

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
yeah I have the port - problem #1 though - to "boot up" I have to open lid and press power up button!!! (micro switch in hinge situation?) So I guess that is out - any more ideas?

Xie

- geek -
Xie said:
If I remember it didn't matter if the lid was open or closed on my *cough*Gateway*cough*. :)
hehe .. give it a try. Whats the worst that could happen? I mean they couldn't put the port on there if it was unusable. :p

-edit- Oh and for clarity I meant open or closed after you booted ... not trying to boot with it closed. :p I think upon windows booting it'll notice the 2nd monitor and ask/search for drivers just like any new monitor. :)

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
eh oh - just *cough cough* clicked properties on my desktop and found an "Output to monitor" tick - now trying to configure so it works - still missing my desktop rig like crazy!

[EDIT] set resolution to suit the 19" - now testing lid closing - shall post aginb with result! [/EDIT]

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
OMFG - now I think everyone is laughing at me hehe :eek: :eek:

[edit] /me needs -ve rep points button for self - post that in the ideas for Ep someone (with link to this thread!) :eek: ;) [/edit]

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
OK OK - so now lid is shut and I have monitor active etc etc - but still - that extended desktop was a temptation - so I tried it, and yeah it is cool - except for two things....

1. I use Virtual desktops (a power toy) and am not certain of the intereaction

2. When I use to place my notebook screen to the LEFT of my monitor (for logistic reasons that CANNOT be changed!) and yet when I drag things from the monitor I have to drag to the RIGHT to take them to the notebook screen!!! This is so counter intuitive it makes the idea a non-starter! So can anyone fix that?

I shall now go back to thread and rep those that may still be laughing at me! hehe

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
AWWWWwwwww I feel EVEN more stupid now I dragged and dropped 1 and 2 !!! hehe

[edit] the differeing screen sizes and resolutions still have me going though - but thanks crono - neat idea! [/edit]

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
PS - Virtual desktops does fine - you just end up with ALL your virtual desktops being extended! I either need to re-adjust all my thinking or (PREFERABLY!) get my main rig fixed and get back to normal.... who knows - next thing I'll have pubes on my mousepad :eek: :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ernestrojasn