Desktop replacement situation?

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
whilst my main rig is out of action I have plugged mouse and keyboard over to Notebook - and Emachines 5100 series.

Was wondering if I could expend this to my 19" AOC TFT, if to make that work I need to be able to select it as primary display and thereby close lid on my Emachines... Having no experience there I thought i would ask you guys - any ideas for my line of machine? I am sure some can do this, have heard of a hack for Powerbooks too...

Hope someone can help - will make things a little more bearable until I can fix my good machine! :(

Easy way to tell if you can is to check for vga port. If you got one should be able to just connect the monitor and boot up the laptop I believe. If I remember it didn't matter if the lid was open or closed on my *cough*Gateway*cough*. :)

yeah I have the port - problem #1 though - to "boot up" I have to open lid and press power up button!!! (micro switch in hinge situation?) So I guess that is out - any more ideas?

Xie said:
If I remember it didn't matter if the lid was open or closed on my *cough*Gateway*cough*. :)
hehe .. give it a try. Whats the worst that could happen? I mean they couldn't put the port on there if it was unusable. :p

-edit- Oh and for clarity I meant open or closed after you booted ... not trying to boot with it closed. :p I think upon windows booting it'll notice the 2nd monitor and ask/search for drivers just like any new monitor. :)

eh oh - just *cough cough* clicked properties on my desktop and found an "Output to monitor" tick - now trying to configure so it works - still missing my desktop rig like crazy!

[EDIT] set resolution to suit the 19" - now testing lid closing - shall post aginb with result! [/EDIT]

bugger - it hibernated - can anyone else help?

crono I would If I had the room and will play with that option tomorrow!

Mainframeguy said:
bugger - it hibernated - can anyone else help?
Hibernated when? When you closed the lid? If so check under power management options. :p

Control Panel > Power Options > Advanced tab. You should be able to change what it does when you close the lid - at least I can on mine, I prefer the Do Nothing option myself. :p

OMFG - now I think everyone is laughing at me hehe :eek: :eek:

[edit] /me needs -ve rep points button for self - post that in the ideas for Ep someone (with link to this thread!) :eek: ;) [/edit]

OK OK - so now lid is shut and I have monitor active etc etc - but still - that extended desktop was a temptation - so I tried it, and yeah it is cool - except for two things....

1. I use Virtual desktops (a power toy) and am not certain of the intereaction

2. When I use to place my notebook screen to the LEFT of my monitor (for logistic reasons that CANNOT be changed!) and yet when I drag things from the monitor I have to drag to the RIGHT to take them to the notebook screen!!! This is so counter intuitive it makes the idea a non-starter! So can anyone fix that?

I shall now go back to thread and rep those that may still be laughing at me! hehe

AWWWWwwwww I feel EVEN more stupid now I dragged and dropped 1 and 2 !!! hehe

[edit] the differeing screen sizes and resolutions still have me going though - but thanks crono - neat idea! [/edit]

PS - Virtual desktops does fine - you just end up with ALL your virtual desktops being extended! I either need to re-adjust all my thinking or (PREFERABLY!) get my main rig fixed and get back to normal.... who knows - next thing I'll have pubes on my mousepad :eek: :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back