Derek's Upgrade Thread

Where is his reps... HEH!

I see your power and his rep they dont correspond....

:eek:
Bah, forgot :D

Actually won't be going with that site - shipping is horrific for three day (69 bucks), which brings it up to comporable with Newegg w/o rebates.

Still will get that case though, don't need the TJ09 ;)

A little pricey? I paid over $325.00 for my Cisco router and the GUI interface sucks; some of which doesn't even function correctly. That's not to mention the confusion behind some of the features and that the wireless portion is completely seperate from the rest and doesn't function because of bad JavaScript elements.

cisco isnt made to be easy :)

I didn't phrase it correctly. I need NAT, 1-to-1 forwarding. I have five IP addresses and will not be using the same IP for the router and mail.* address.

1 to 1 nat on cisco is called Static Nat. If you didnt already know this.

Celt, I didn't know. I've only been trained on Nortel products. Self taught on Linksys. This is the first Cisco router I have ever dealt with and it will likely be the last for the time being. I bought the router based on a recommendation from a friend who has put in 10 of these (or similar) units in within the last six months. I obviously received a defective product and it spoiled my tastes for now.

I purchased the same Linksys router that Derek is using and will use that for now. Hopefully it offers 1-1 forwarding (static NAT as you put it).

Thank you for the information.

I have ordered all my stuff, just need to get a high quality UPS at some point. Need to read up on these.

Hardware varied a bit from what I posted previously, will post what I ended up getting when I have a chance.

W00t!

OK So all parts have been ordered and received. Unfortunately this past week was very busy, and everything is still sitting on my floor in the boxes. I'm in California this week, so I probably won't slap it all together until Jan 22nd.

Anyway, here are the specs

Displays: Dell 2007WFP x 2
Case: Cooler Master Stacker 810 Case
PSU: PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 PSU
Motherboard: Intel BOXD975XBX2KR Intel 975X Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66GHz CPU
Optical Drives: Plextor PX-760A 18x DVD-R/+R 10x DL (quantity 2)
RAM: 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 SDRAM (1GB x 4)
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
Hard Drive: 150GB 10K RPM Raptor Drives x 2 (Will run in RAID 0)
Storage Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000KSRTL 500GB
Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution Mouse
Video Card: ASUS EN8800GTX 758MB Video Card
UPS: CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD 1500VA 900W
AIO: HP Laserjet 3055 Fax/Print/Copy/Scan
Speakers: ALTEC LANSING FX6021 2.1 Speakers
NAS: BUFFALO LS-500GL 500GB LinkStation Pro

Juicy :D

If that were coming from Alienware that would cost 87,000 dollars and your first born son!!!

good choices

I agree, and thank god it's not :D

Bottom line, I am busier than ever with my real job and more importantly with my side work. The time to buy is now, as pretty much after this is settled I need to focus on saving for the wedding and the house. The machine I am currently using simply doesn't cut it. I am constantly waiting for stuff to finish and happen, and with my limited time to get stuff done it's costing me money.

Substantial investment indeed, but in the long run it will be beneficial. That, plus I hope it keeps my machine "pimped" for at least two years where I won't have to upgrade. I never really was a gamer, but I think I'm going to start doing that from time to time. I read ALOT on the video card, well, more specifically the 8800 technology and DX10. I know there isn't a sure way to gauge it against DX10 since there are no games written for it yet, but it will continue to kick tail for time to come. While I was reading about it, I saw lots of examples and games that looked cool, as well as how much it made it superior to the XBOX360 - something I've wanted.

We'll see - but I'm happy. Just wish I was home to build and play :( :p

I know Zalman is the best, but I'm not entirely sure I feel like taking my motherboard out and hack-sawing off pieces to mount it. Doesn't that void your warranty anyways on the motherboard?
Where did you read that? I didn't need to hack-saw anything off to mount a Zalman HSF on my board, but then again, maybe it depends on the kind of board and the HSF too.

I've heard good things about the Arctic Coolers anyway too. :)

Where did you read that? I didn't need to hack-saw anything off to mount a Zalman HSF on my board, but then again, maybe it depends on the kind of board and the HSF too.

I've heard good things about the Arctic Coolers anyway too. :)
It's not required for AMD processors , but if you have a LGA775 it requires the backplate, which the motherboard has to be removed and resistors fuddled with.

I looked at this one -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118020

Examples of modding here -

http://evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24179

It's not required for AMD processors , but if you have a LGA775 it requires the backplate, which the motherboard has to be removed and resistors fuddled with.

I looked at this one -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118020

Examples of modding here -

http://evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24179
Ah, so you just need to mod the HSF's backplate then, not the motherboard itself. The board's warranty should be unaffected by that. The Arctic Cooling one is probably easier to mount though.

Ah, so you just need to mod the HSF's backplate then, not the motherboard itself. The board's warranty should be unaffected by that. The Arctic Cooling one is probably easier to mount though.
Har, it's all in the details - guess I got that a bit confused ;)

Either way, Artic Cooling seems much easier and the temp differences are nominal.

I have the same motherboard that you have. I didn't have any problems mounting a Zalman 9500.

He's worried because he saw an article on the EVGA web site talking about the EVGA 975X board that needed modification.

You didn't buy an EVGA branded board so stop worrying!

Yeah, was totally my bad. I have found some detailed install instructions, even a video (cool) on the Zalman site for installation.

Problem is I'm a bit weary of doing it. Such a sizeable investment is going into this system, and wrt the thermal compound I don't want to mess that up as I haven't ever manually applied it before. I tend to go with stock HSF, which has always been fine since I don't OC. The Arctic Freeze has a thermal pad I believe, and still a vast improvement over the stock device. I know Artic Silver is the best cooling compound, and the stuff that comes with the Zalman - according to install materials gets brushed on over the entire CPU and HSF.

Would hate to put on too much or too little and break something for a 4-5 degree difference between Artic HSF and Zalman

I was apprehensive the first couple of times I installed a heat sink (nervous the first time I installed one!) but there's nothing to it.

The difference between the two coolers may be more than you think.

When I bought the Zalman 9500 that I have they weren't making the 9700. I'd buy the 9700 now.....

Installing it really isn't the issue, I just wouldn't want to mess up the cooling "goo" which could fry some stuff.

You would be silly NOT to protect your investment with a higher end HSF. Believe me Derek, it is cake. Simply put a small amount of Arctic Silver 5 on there and you will be all set.

Last edited:
From what I have read, you should use a small dab that resembeles a "bibi" (sp?) in the center of the CPU and that will be sufficient. Is that accurate?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back