Creative X-Fi out in 1day...and counting

if they can't reproduce the lost data , then all they really have is a way powerful digital signal processor, even with parametrics there is no way to reproduce the lost data, as all the parametrics do is add gain or loss.
hmmm...will wait to see how this is actually incorporated into a working system.

I swear you lot must have left your brains swtiched off for this thread. The chip will super-sample, interpolate and filter audio at 24bits. meaing it will resample to 96khz 24 bits and interpolate and filter the audio data to fill in the gaps.

It will also filter to remove clicks, hiss and pop and other interferece introduced by lossy compression. It wont replace lost audio data, but it can create new data to create transitisons between existing samples to improv the sound you do get from the data is has got.

think about it :D

lol what a load of crap. resampling can only ever degrade quality, when resampling u must dither.. dither = noise..

whatever source file u have, u will not get any better quality.. you can of course tweak the EQ to make it sound better to you.. this thing is the biggest crock of s**t, especially as it comes from creative.
then again, im sure a lot of people think that the "audigy" is the best soundcard on the planet. take a look at RME or LYNX stuff going thru apogee converters. thats THE best thing you could do for your music.. Get a high quality card, with high quality converters and listen to how it should sound;)
converting/upsampling/resampling/eq'ing through such a poor product as anything by creative is surely a bad thing for any music

Last edited:
dithering and resampling are seperate things.

Resampling WILL and DOES improve the quality of whatever you are processing (be it audio or imagery) to a certain point beyond which resampling is largley useless.

Dithering will introduce noise and degrade quality.

This chip from E-mu's research lab (yes I know creative bought them but all their soundchips have been by E-mu research who make some pretty awesome pro-audio kit). Creatives only failing has been poor drivers. The hardware is awesome.

1) most lossy formats (especially mp3) don't work by necessarily throwing away data. The only time data is lost is with a lowpass filter. (Quantization) Noise is actually added and this is how lossy compression works.

2) Resampling CANNOT improve quality. It can however degrade quality. There are very few situations where you would resample and NOT dither.

3) There is nothing that this chip can do to make the lossy file sound closer to the original (which, for audio would be considered better). It can make it sound different, just like adding a huge EQ curve can make a home stereo sound "better", but it still is not close to the original.

4) And nothing changes the fact that this chip STILL resamples native streams internally. A 44.1 stream in should come out as a 44.1 stream. There is no reason to resample and it can only degrade the quality.

LordOfLA said:
dithering and resampling are seperate things.

Resampling WILL and DOES improve the quality of whatever you are processing (be it audio or imagery) to a certain point beyond which resampling is largley useless.

totally wrong.. see above

You can't create data that isn't there. You can resample white noise at 44.1 KHz and run it through all the processors in the world, but it will never be Beethoven's Ninth.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back