compaq Presario 5000 sound drivers

a dreams forever

OSNN Addict
A friend gave me his old computer cause it didnt work to good anymore for him and hes getting a new comp soon.. I reformatted and fixed everything.. works great now.. my question is.. where can I find drivers for the sound card.. its an onboard sound card.. I have no clue what company it is.. doesnt say anywhere.. what drivers do I need to get for the compaq presario 5000 series to get the sound to work?

Did you try Compaq's website?? I dont know what OS your using (I assmued Win98) and I dont know the exact model or what kind of sound card but maybe this will help.
Compaq Software

Yes I tried the site.. and yes im using win98.. on the case.. on the bottom it says 5000.. but in BIOS it says 5102us.. but I downloaded drivers for that too and they STILL didnt work.. what will happen is.. I will click to install the drivers.. it will say its installing.. after a minute or so it asks me to reboot.. I reboot.. and the driver selection for the soundcard comes back up.. you know the thing that asks you to select a location where the drivers are at and such.. ahh.. its fustrating.. thank you for the help though..

PseudoKiller said:
what kind of sound card is it??

I have no clue.. its onboard.. but theres nothing anywhere saying what brand / model number it is.. it was given to me so I dont have the drivers cd nor the manuals

do you know what kind of chipset the board uses? either look under 'system devices' in device manager or pop open the case and look at the southbridge. should be VIA, SiS, or ALi, or Intel.

[edit] if via, try their combo audio driver.

Just a suggestion, but maybe drop $10 on ebay and order up a old sb16 or sumpin.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back