• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Clicking hard drive

I have a computer with a dead hard disk. Bios will not recognize it on bootup, and the drive just emits a series of clicks. The rest of the computer works ok, checked it with another disk I had around, all is good. i have already ordered a replacement drive.

Is there any way to retrieve the data off the old drive? The computer belongs to my boss, and while he has learned the hard way about back-ups, he would like his data back. If I can't do it, he understands, its not important enough to him to use a data recovery service. It would be cool if I could do this for him, though.

thanks.

L

Lee

Thick waterproof and air proof bag.

Wrap the drive in it and make sure it's sealed (the bag).

Freeze it for a few hours.

Add it as a slave and save files from drive.

I have been told this can work, never done it myself as I backup everyday to an external disk and a partition on my HD. So if one fails I can still do something about it.

Weasel

Define 'Cynical'
Thick waterproof and air proof bag.

Wrap the drive in it and make sure it's sealed (the bag).

Freeze it for a few hours.

Add it as a slave and save files from drive.

I have been told this can work, never done it myself as I backup everyday to an external disk and a partition on my HD. So if one fails I can still do something about it.
I've never heard of this actually working and it never has for myself personally (went through a lot of drives back in the day) but your results might differ. Typically if I hear the dreaded "click click" from a hard drive I just rip it out and go to town on it with a hammer; it's pretty much toast.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies