Clicking hard drive

Detonator

OSNN Addict
I have a computer with a dead hard disk. Bios will not recognize it on bootup, and the drive just emits a series of clicks. The rest of the computer works ok, checked it with another disk I had around, all is good. i have already ordered a replacement drive.

Is there any way to retrieve the data off the old drive? The computer belongs to my boss, and while he has learned the hard way about back-ups, he would like his data back. If I can't do it, he understands, its not important enough to him to use a data recovery service. It would be cool if I could do this for him, though.

thanks.

Thick waterproof and air proof bag.

Wrap the drive in it and make sure it's sealed (the bag).

Freeze it for a few hours.

Add it as a slave and save files from drive.

I have been told this can work, never done it myself as I backup everyday to an external disk and a partition on my HD. So if one fails I can still do something about it.

I've heard of that method as well. Never have had to try it though.

It may work for you.

Drives like that are terminal. You can only get data back by sending it off to a data recovery place.

Thick waterproof and air proof bag.

Wrap the drive in it and make sure it's sealed (the bag).

Freeze it for a few hours.

Add it as a slave and save files from drive.

I have been told this can work, never done it myself as I backup everyday to an external disk and a partition on my HD. So if one fails I can still do something about it.

I've never heard of this actually working and it never has for myself personally (went through a lot of drives back in the day) but your results might differ. Typically if I hear the dreaded "click click" from a hard drive I just rip it out and go to town on it with a hammer; it's pretty much toast.

a clicking drive is a totally dead drive, its physically damaged beyond reading/writing.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back