• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Cisco Router And XP Port Configuring

butcherboys

Unconforming User
I have ADSL through a Cisco 677 Router and XP Home. I am trying to connect to WinMX as a primary connection. Just wondering if anyone could give me some hints on how i can configure XP and my router so i can use ports 6699 and 6257. My ISP does not block these ports but i seem to be unable to connect as primary, only secondary. Someone had mentioned NAT to me but this really means nothing to me. I connect to my router via Telnet and my experience with TCP/IP is little. If someone could be of some assistance i would be greatful.
Thank you,
Butcherboys
butcherboys2000@yahoo.com

P.S. I am also running Sygate Pro Firewall.

I can't say I know what WinMX is (i heard people speaking about it, but that's it), but a stab in the dark would be forwarding those ports to your computer (this is done in the router) since you are using NAT (Network Address Translation).

X

xerox

Forwarding is the correct answer, and here's how:

Start -> Run and type
telnet 10.0.0.1
<password>
en
<password>
set nat entry add <localip> 6699 <globalip> 6699 tcp
set nat entry add <localip> 6259 <globalip> 6259 tcp
write
quit

Et voilá, you have forwarded these ports to your computer.

More info here.

Let me know if it works :)

butcherboys

Unconforming User
Okay, i'll try that when i get off work tonight, hope it works. If it does i'll post the outcome.
Thanks for the info.

Butcherboys.

I would have responded earlier but i have been having problems accessing this site from work. :D

butcherboys

Unconforming User
I also have another question, after i forward the ports, do i have to open them or do anything else with XP (home)? I don't use the XP firewall. i use Sygate Pro.
Butcherboys

X

xerox

Yes, you have to open the port in Sygate Pro.
Haven't used it myself, but it's probably easy.

butcherboys

Unconforming User
Thanks Xerox, it worked great! I also had to set nat entry.....udp also for it to work. and that link you gave came in real handy. all kinds of configs.
Again, Thanks a lot!

Butcherboys :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ernestrojasn