Cisco Router And XP Port Configuring

butcherboys

Unconforming User
I have ADSL through a Cisco 677 Router and XP Home. I am trying to connect to WinMX as a primary connection. Just wondering if anyone could give me some hints on how i can configure XP and my router so i can use ports 6699 and 6257. My ISP does not block these ports but i seem to be unable to connect as primary, only secondary. Someone had mentioned NAT to me but this really means nothing to me. I connect to my router via Telnet and my experience with TCP/IP is little. If someone could be of some assistance i would be greatful.
Thank you,
Butcherboys
butcherboys2000@yahoo.com

P.S. I am also running Sygate Pro Firewall.

I can't say I know what WinMX is (i heard people speaking about it, but that's it), but a stab in the dark would be forwarding those ports to your computer (this is done in the router) since you are using NAT (Network Address Translation).

Forwarding is the correct answer, and here's how:

Start -> Run and type
telnet 10.0.0.1
<password>
en
<password>
set nat entry add <localip> 6699 <globalip> 6699 tcp
set nat entry add <localip> 6259 <globalip> 6259 tcp
write
quit

Et voilá, you have forwarded these ports to your computer.

More info here.

Let me know if it works :)

Okay, i'll try that when i get off work tonight, hope it works. If it does i'll post the outcome.
Thanks for the info.

Butcherboys.

I would have responded earlier but i have been having problems accessing this site from work. :D

I also have another question, after i forward the ports, do i have to open them or do anything else with XP (home)? I don't use the XP firewall. i use Sygate Pro.
Butcherboys

Yes, you have to open the port in Sygate Pro.
Haven't used it myself, but it's probably easy.

Thanks Xerox, it worked great! I also had to set nat entry.....udp also for it to work. and that link you gave came in real handy. all kinds of configs.
Again, Thanks a lot!

Butcherboys :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back