CD-ROM Doesnt Open?

I tried going to the dell website to find your manual but to get to the support pages you have to create an account. Unless you're actually running a DELL then you can't create an account because it requires a 'service tag' which is created by special software. You might want to go there and see what you can find out:

http://support.dell.com/us/en/register.asp?redirect=yes

Oh normally whenever I turn on my comp i First see a picture of Dell and there website, and loads really fast and goes to WindowsXP loading fast, then it takes me to the users log in.

But this morning I turned on the computer and The dell picture screen shows but... I loads pretty slow normally it takes like 5 or 3 seconds to load...now its takes probably 50 seconds! Its probably my Cd-drive...

To enter the case, turn everything off, unplug the main power supply, open the case, just check the cables by firmly pushing them into place... don't be timid... give them a decent push... it's my guess you'll find the ones connected to your cdrom won't be seated all the way (don't forget where they connect to the motherboard too). Nothing to it really... once you see the inside you'll notice it's pretty basic stuff. Just touch a bare metal part of the case occasionally to keep any static you may accumulate to discharge.

Yea i got an account at dell i tried going there earlier... i tried finding solutions and they dont say nothing about CD-ROM drive not opening or responding...

Ok... i'm just nervoius cause thery might be another problem that leads to another problem etc.. heh I guess i'll try... But can u tell me what to do when i first get into BIOS?

Yeah, pop your case open and make sure everything is seated good... it's no big deal.

Because of the slow boot time you report... that's another indication of a poor connection somewhere (more then likely on your cdrom).

hmm a Dell huh? well what i would do is take it out back and beat it with a stick.....lol just open the box up and check the cables ive done it for my mom and it didnt void the warrenty <---(i know thats spelled wrong lol) so just check those man

I'll check it until my mom goes out of the house lol cause she be yelling at me heh.

So I just tighten the cables or wires? like push it in so its really connected? And are u really really 100% sure that this is going to work?

Oh wait! I forgot to tell u guys this . I had rolling blackout last night... and maybe this might be the issue on why my cd-rom drive isnt responding... can somebody confirm this?

Does Dell still use the chassis intrusion crap with their system? Last time I messed with one, after opening the case, it would post a message saying that the case has been open. If they are still using it, it might be wise to turn it off first before opening the case. Just a precaution. ;)

check the cables and yes make sure there tight it should work if not your cd rom is bad if the lights on it dont come on

Zip how do I trun it off then? and what will happen if i dont turn it off before opening the case? Will say a message and what?

Originally posted by _DM_
Zip how do I trun it off then? and what will happen if i dont turn it off before opening the case? Will say a message and what?

Nothing bad will happen. It just merely states that the case has been open. I know the last time I opened a Dell PC it voided the warranty because of that message. It will state right when you boot the pc up. If you don't see a message then I wouldn't worry about it. Just wanted to offer a precaution. ;) Oh about the blackout question, I know a couple months ago I experienced a blackout and messed up my pc. I had to unplug the system and clear the CMOS in order for things to run again. Since you are getting power to your CDrom now, and checked the cables, is it working now?

Originally posted by _DM_
Oh wait! I forgot to tell u guys this . I had rolling blackout last night... and maybe this might be the issue on why my cd-rom drive isnt responding... can somebody confirm this?
This just keeps getting better and better... yes, that very well could be it - was the computer on during the blackout? Did the problem present itself right after that? Is everything plugged into a surge protector? The possibility exists that something got fried - if something did get smoked you may need to RMA your whole system... not just the drive. You really need to call Dell and let them walk you through their troubleshooting on this issue - I hope you don't end up voiding the warranty on a month old system.

ummm.... My computer was turned off when the blackout happened, it happen when i was asleep...Does my comp still get affected? cause all went well yesterday:)

I'm gona open up my comp on monday cause my mom works on that day lol and i dont want her to know.:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back