cant build anything on freebsd

What software are you building, what is your hardware? What programs are segfaulting (dmesg -a for more information)

We can't help you if you just say "well it ain't working, and I get these error numbers", we have no clue in what context those error numbers showed up.

It sounds like you have bad hardware though, hard drive maybe, could be a motherboard error as well.

i have sorted it - it was what i was thinking it might have been, gcc and tool chain, have installed 7.0 beta 2 (whihc has updated versions of build utils) and everything is installing nicely

Uhm, the tool chain that came with FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE is more than capable. It should definitely not have been segfaulting.

What programs were you compiling? That way I can try it, and post a bug report.

any program from ports was faulting, mysql, apache, php, perl, X - to name a few, i know its not hardware related as i have had memtest86 running on it over night, and that shows the mem to be fine, i have used spinrite on the drives (as well as western digital tools) and they say the drives are fine, and i have had gentoo building on there this morn (as well as slackware) and everything built fine on those.

I notice that freebsd 6.2 comes with gcc 3.4.6, and i have had issues with that on slackware in the past that is why i was thinking it was gcc related, as i say everything under 7.0 beta2 is working fine

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_error is the error i get - but only with 6.2 - 7.0b2 is fine as is all the linux distros i have tried, so im going to stick with 7.0b2 for now

Thanks for all the help

Last edited:
There could still be something wrong with your hardware (motherboard, CPU) have you done a test to make sure they are functioning correctly?

efiant# uname -a ; gcc -v ; mysql --version ; php --version;
FreeBSD defiant.osnn.net 6.2-RELEASE-p# FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p# #1: [DATE HERE] root@defiant.osnn.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DEFIANT i386
Using built-in specs.
Configured with: FreeBSD/i386 system compiler
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.6 [FreeBSD] 20060305
mysql Ver 14.7 Distrib 4.1.22, for portbld-freebsd6.1 (i386) using 5.0
PHP 5.2.4 with Suhosin-Patch 0.9.6.2 (cli) (built: [DATE HERE])
Copyright (c) 1997-2007 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.2.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2007 Zend Technologies
with Suhosin v0.9.20, Copyright (c) 2002-2006, by Hardened-PHP Project

This is as you can see FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE as well. Works perfectly.

i think i have found the issue(s) its not the drives looks like mem, i did hit the pc the other day (gently mind you) while cleaning and i think that may have alllowed dust to creep into the mem slot or it nughed one of the sticks, have removed all mem sticks, cleaned them (some dust under the metal casing) and the slots and have reseated the mem.

So cross your fingers :)

dark-lord# uname -a ; gcc -v ; mysql --version ; php --version;
FreeBSD dark-lord.home-phoenix.net 6.2-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p4 #0: Thu Apr 26 17:55:55 UTC 2007 root@i386-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP i386
Using built-in specs.
Configured with: FreeBSD/i386 system compiler
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.6 [FreeBSD] 20060305
mysql Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.45, for portbld-freebsd6.2 (i386) using 5.0
PHP 5.2.4 with Suhosin-Patch 0.9.6.2 (cli) (built: Nov 13 2007 18:31:29)
Copyright (c) 1997-2007 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.2.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2007 Zend Technologies

:) :)

(memtestx86 said all was ok)

freebsd is very good at finding faults in ram in minutes that memtest takes days to find :)

memory is fine though, msut have been when i ever so lightly knocked the pc, that and there was a smidge of dust in/on/around the memory and slots, still all is working fine now :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back