Cable Nut

BTW Speedguide's TCPOptimizer is the program that recommends a one-size-fits-all approach to the settings, and they recommend very large receive windows. WinGuides has been guilty of this too. There are other things to tweaking than just the MTU and RWIN. You should adjust the buffers to increase stability. You should make sure timestamps are off. You should make sure that SackOpts are sent. If you actually need a RWIn larger than 64k, you need to adjust for WindowsScaling. The problem with most other apps is that they do not cover alot of other tweaks, cablenut covers the most important settings along with some others that will help.

how is more not been made about the fact that this is just not physically possible, how is this even being argued? he probably had some file cached or something and downloaded it again and showed some outrageous speed.

I went from a 28.8 k Dial up ( average speed was about 20k) to
AOL broadband 500k asdl line. My Mum got it as I moaned for months. I can now download big files like 480 meg update in a hour, cool huh and smaller 10 meg files quickly also. I can get an average speed of 600k. I have used cable nut version 4.08 did not do much. Acclerate does not do much also, nor does tweak xp pro. Games like pool at yahoo don't play any quicker, I have an advantage only coz I have a 1.5 ghz processor against people with slower processor speeds. I will now say my point.

I have not got used yet to the faster speed, games don't play much faster at yahoo I don't play shoot em up games as they bore me. I maybe have not got used to the faster speed, did anyone else feel bored waiting for large files to download?

What is the point in having any speed faster than 600K?

AOL DSL.... poor you.

Many people have faster than 512Kb lines, it's exactly the same as a 56k->DSL transition, just as you where once bored of 56k, you will eventually get bored of DSL (I know I am) and want to move on to something faster.

I use a laptop, and use a multitude of locations and connections

I guess cablenut settings, or any setttings would be counterproductive for me unless I optimized every time I switched locations

or better

maybe I should optimize my slowest connection, and let the fast ones take care of themselfs

hmmm

Originally posted by Leevoy
I went from a 28.8 k Dial up ( average speed was about 20k) to
AOL broadband 500k asdl line. .... I have used cable nut version 4.08 did not do much.

You can't tweak AOL. I posted this earlier. If I wrote an antivirus program it would remove AOL. The CableNut program was written to support Windows products on the Windows TCP/IP protocol, it was never intended to help with AOL. AOL has its own TCP/IP and they utilize the Windows VPN protocol (Virtual Private networking) along with uploading 125 megabytes of information to your computer for advertising and cached web pages so that you don’t have to download them to your machine based on profiling you the user. Did you know AOL dwnloads ads to your computer when you not even connected? Did you know that the MTU of AOL broadband is 1400 instead of 1500 so 100 bytes of header space is reserved for their bandwith to send files to you computer, they keep the TCP/IP stack lower so that you don’t seem to get flooded and so they can upload advertising at will. That can go on 24 hours a day 7 days a week! Think about it there in your machine even when you sleep.? Did you know AOL makes 15 seperate IP connections when every normal connection in the free world only needs 1? Don't mean to start AOL bashing again, but it is something people should know. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

great post j79, great

and no, I didn't know much of this

why don't you start an aol bashing post, so all of this can get more attention

Well in lille ol Kent, in my lille ol area I got a choice of 3, 1) 28.8 k D.A.C.S line, 2)A.O.L @500k or 3) Nowt.

I have the best of the 3 and iz very happy. :)

AOL does not commision its own lines, they service through your Telco, so probably SBC or Pacbell, or whomever your phone company is, is providing your DSL and AOL is just reselling it to you at a higher price.

j79, start an aol information thread...this is good stuff

as far as leevoy, he's stuck with the choice he's presented, so he really has no choice, he has to choose aol

at the price you've enumerated, but still, aol is his best choice

What's so bad?

Originally posted by j79zlr
Bob, if you input your download caps and Latency into my settings page it calculates the RWIN in the method you described. I never either recommended or posted a one setting fits all setting. That is why my site will input your connection type, upload and download caps, and latency to determine the settings.

With all due respect, DrTCP is the worst internet optimizing program, and the people at DSLReports have no clue.

As far no upload tweak this is partially true. You can adjust the DefaultSendWindow, which is an AFD paramter tweak and it can help out upload stability and speed.

Just curious but what's so bad about DrTcp and DSLReports.com?

I've been going there for almost 3 years now and I've never gotten any bad info. My 3MB(used to be 2MB) line is actually testing out at almost 3.2MB and DrTcp is the program that I use to tweak. All the other sites I ever went to always recommended insanely high rwin values because in a small test, that huge rwin value will give you a very large short burst of speed giving you awesome results. If you were to test with a bigger test, you would find that it all balances out. I prefer a consistent connection so I've got my rwin at 29200.

I've always gotten my advice from DSLReports and of course you run into the occasional idiot in the forums but for the most part, they give good DSL/Cable tweaking advice.

I never go to DSLreports just because I have seen them just give bad info left and right, and if you try and explain something they just delete your post :)

Both DrTCP and The SGoptimizer simply just lack the functionality of cablenut. They do nothing more, and whole lot less. I understand burst speeds and high RWINs, and that is what I've tried to rebutt to no avail (in the past, maybe they have finally learned) . You need a balanced RWIN, 29200 can be OK for a low latency 3MB connection, everyone's is different. Most sites don't understand that you will show high speeds with large RWINs initially for the aforementioned reasons, but as latency increases with a large download you can be subject to large amounts of retransmissions, set the RWIN too low and you are sending too frequent acknowledgement packets.

Cablenut also allows you to increase the default buffer sizes and amounts which are good for stabilizing the connection.

I tried this - Is dose make a little bit of diff, but not really that much as far as I can see. I also have a hard time believing that you can get speeds like posted in the first post from cable without caching and downloading a couple of times ..

My speed is normally 2700k with this it went up to 4500k .. So I like it so far :)

Originally posted by j79zlr
You can't tweak AOL. I posted this earlier. If I wrote an antivirus program it would remove AOL. The CableNut program was written to support Windows products on the Windows TCP/IP protocol, it was never intended to help with AOL. AOL has its own TCP/IP and they utilize the Windows VPN protocol (Virtual Private networking) along with uploading 125 megabytes of information to your computer for advertising and cached web pages so that you don’t have to download them to your machine based on profiling you the user. Did you know AOL dwnloads ads to your computer when you not even connected? Did you know that the MTU of AOL broadband is 1400 instead of 1500 so 100 bytes of header space is reserved for their bandwith to send files to you computer, they keep the TCP/IP stack lower so that you don’t seem to get flooded and so they can upload advertising at will. That can go on 24 hours a day 7 days a week! Think about it there in your machine even when you sleep.? Did you know AOL makes 15 seperate IP connections when every normal connection in the free world only needs 1? Don't mean to start AOL bashing again, but it is something people should know. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

all this is very true:(

well i have cablenutt and maybe i havent achieve my 90% of my caps but i'm close to it, nut it has stabilize my connection something i havent achieve with other softwares. i have 256/128 ADSL and my speed test are generally 210/109, 214/109, 215/110...........im lookin at least to get 225/115'....but for that i need to make the line tweak conection and so far i havent been able to do it.......

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back