Browser home page

K

k-swede

I use Internet Explorer 5.5, whilst browsing a website has set itself as the start page and now I cannot change it to anything else! ( I can change the home page but as soon as I restart the computer the start page has set itself back again!) I can live with this but this is not the kind kind of thing that my kids should see. Can anyone help me with this problem? I have a feeling that it has written itself into the registry somehow. I currently run Windows ME so I hope you can make an ex-ception on this XP forum!;) Thanks.

yoyo

:D speaking from experience, Henyman? :p Now I think best to make a virusscan, run Adaware and check your autostart. Do you have msconfig in ME, can't remember. Otherwise startupfolders and the run and runonce keys in the registry.

K

k-swede

Originally posted by yoyo
:D speaking from experience, Henyman? :p Now I think best to make a virusscan, run Adaware and check your autostart. Do you have msconfig in ME, can't remember. Otherwise startupfolders and the run and runonce keys in the registry.
where can I find the run and runonce keys? Do you have a link for adaware?

Glad to hear that others use the full range of services available on the www;)

R

rettahc

I've had this happen to me before, the culprit was a java script virus, I used PC-Cillin to get rid of it.

If all else fails you can change your Iexplorer shortcut to this

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome

It should make your browser open to a blank page.

R

rettahc

This Looks like it is the reg key that controls the IE start page:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main:
start page

X

XP Abuser

yeh rettahc your right mate its a java exploit i noticed it cuz a script erroor came up and sumthing twinkled at the side of my eye saying something like

"java.exploit.script" error then found my home page was being naughty

(dont get caught with your trousers down. get a virus scanner)
excuse that genius pun there

K

k-swede

Problem solved!!!!! The run key in the registry was pointing to a temp file in the windows/system file, so I deleted them both and hey presto problem solved - thanks for your help my friends. :D

Henyman, you made me laugh even though you could not help:p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut