Browser home page

K

k-swede

I use Internet Explorer 5.5, whilst browsing a website has set itself as the start page and now I cannot change it to anything else! ( I can change the home page but as soon as I restart the computer the start page has set itself back again!) I can live with this but this is not the kind kind of thing that my kids should see. Can anyone help me with this problem? I have a feeling that it has written itself into the registry somehow. I currently run Windows ME so I hope you can make an ex-ception on this XP forum!;) Thanks.

tut tut tut looking up pr0n were we?:p

:D speaking from experience, Henyman? :p Now I think best to make a virusscan, run Adaware and check your autostart. Do you have msconfig in ME, can't remember. Otherwise startupfolders and the run and runonce keys in the registry.

lol i use aol so no homepage pops up:p

Originally posted by yoyo
:D speaking from experience, Henyman? :p Now I think best to make a virusscan, run Adaware and check your autostart. Do you have msconfig in ME, can't remember. Otherwise startupfolders and the run and runonce keys in the registry.

where can I find the run and runonce keys? Do you have a link for adaware?

Glad to hear that others use the full range of services available on the www;)

I've had this happen to me before, the culprit was a java script virus, I used PC-Cillin to get rid of it.

If all else fails you can change your Iexplorer shortcut to this

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome

It should make your browser open to a blank page.

This Looks like it is the reg key that controls the IE start page:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main:
start page

yeh rettahc your right mate its a java exploit i noticed it cuz a script erroor came up and sumthing twinkled at the side of my eye saying something like

"java.exploit.script" error then found my home page was being naughty

(dont get caught with your trousers down. get a virus scanner)
excuse that genius pun there

Problem solved!!!!! The run key in the registry was pointing to a temp file in the windows/system file, so I deleted them both and hey presto problem solved - thanks for your help my friends. :D

Henyman, you made me laugh even though you could not help:p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back