• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

BOOT menu

M

Metonic

I had windows xp installed two times accidently , so i erased the second version. The only thing that bugs me is that the boot menu , where i can choose between xp and xp still exist. How can i get rid of that boot menu??

Z

zman

hmmm two times , hehhe

you can boot from a 98 boot floppy and type fdisk /mbr at the dos prompt

that should fix it

that will format the master boot record

Z

ZeroChaos

I also had that problem. Annoying isn't it, when you leave your PC as it boots up, and come back a few minutes later when it asks you to pick which OS you want to boot. :)

I ended up formatting again, but only because I had some initial difficulties with XP.

P

phatphunky

There are 2 ways you can do this...

First, make sure you know the directory the XP installation you wish to keep is in...

Go to Settings>ContolPanel>System. Click Advanced Tab. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings. You should now see a drop-down menu listing the operating systems available on your machine. Choose the one you want to boot into (see statement above) and change the time to display list of operating systems to 0. Restart your computer and your computer will boot (without the menu) into XP.

The other option is to edit the boot.ini file in the root directory. It is a hidden file, so change the attributes. Remove the line that refers to your old XP installation, re-save the file and reboot.

I like the first method myself because it is the old point n' click method. Let me know how you do...

PhatPhunky

Z

zman

phatphunky : Excellent post , thanks

Just made a note of that ...... a friend of mine also had this problem

Solved now !!!

M

Metonic

i already figured it out myself by going to msconfig , then go to boot.ini and check all paths. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timpage