BOOT menu

M

Metonic

I had windows xp installed two times accidently , so i erased the second version. The only thing that bugs me is that the boot menu , where i can choose between xp and xp still exist. How can i get rid of that boot menu??

hmmm two times , hehhe

you can boot from a 98 boot floppy and type fdisk /mbr at the dos prompt

that should fix it

that will format the master boot record

I also had that problem. Annoying isn't it, when you leave your PC as it boots up, and come back a few minutes later when it asks you to pick which OS you want to boot. :)

I ended up formatting again, but only because I had some initial difficulties with XP.

There are 2 ways you can do this...

First, make sure you know the directory the XP installation you wish to keep is in...

Go to Settings>ContolPanel>System. Click Advanced Tab. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings. You should now see a drop-down menu listing the operating systems available on your machine. Choose the one you want to boot into (see statement above) and change the time to display list of operating systems to 0. Restart your computer and your computer will boot (without the menu) into XP.

The other option is to edit the boot.ini file in the root directory. It is a hidden file, so change the attributes. Remove the line that refers to your old XP installation, re-save the file and reboot.

I like the first method myself because it is the old point n' click method. Let me know how you do...

PhatPhunky

phatphunky : Excellent post , thanks

Just made a note of that ...... a friend of mine also had this problem

Solved now !!!

i already figured it out myself by going to msconfig , then go to boot.ini and check all paths. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back