Best Router

N

Not Bman

What is the best out there.

That might be a bland question, but I don't know much about them. Except that I need a new one.

I need at least 5 connection on it.

DSL or ADSL?

I'd probably say Netgear DG834GT for ADSL.
btw, All home network routers only have 4 ethernet ports, but you can always go wireles.. ;)

i use a draytek 2820vn, nice router, plenty of features

anything with lots of ram so you don't start getting random disconnects when using bittorrent :D

linksys WRT54GS I never had issues, built solid

I use a Linksys WRT with Sveasoft Talisman firmware for home use.

For a small office (Or an advanced home network) I'd recommend Untangle... It's an open source product build on Debian Linux. We're using it for several clients, as well as our office and it works well. I'd be using it for my home network if I had an extra system lying around to install it on.

Wow lots of suggestions, thought there would of been 1 or 2.

When I said 5, thats 4 with the 1 in or what not.

Now hmm...

Let me ask you guys this.

The reason I need a new one (this and maybe the modem) is I loose connection all the time. Now I have had issues for years, different things. The past 6 months, and really bad the past week. I have downed the possible problems to this, if I am downloading a large file (over 1GB) usually in a Newsgroup program, I can do it for 10-20minutes and then I loose connection, I unplug router and modem, wait, and plug it back in, and its good.

It seems to loose connection at times during normal use (browsing and stuff) but very little. Now I have always had the thought that my provider (rogers) is doing this on purpose, even though I am paying an extra $25/month on over charges. I also thought it could be my modem or router, both are old, and i think one of them makes noise if I shake it. I figured it does it most of the time when I am downloading something (heavy use) so it could be its broken.

So is it my provider or my devices...it's really annoying.

Sounds like a memory leak in the firmware for one device or the other (In my experience this has mostly been in routers or combined router/modem units, rather than standalone modems)

Check for firmware upgrades!

Alright, so what is equal to options, quality and all that of the

Linksys WRT54GS, but has Wireless N as well.

BMAN sounds like the same problems I had a few years ago. It was the DSL Modem. It kept getting worse until I replaced it. Hve never lost a download since.

BMAN sounds like the same problems I had a few years ago. It was the DSL Modem. It kept getting worse until I replaced it. Hve never lost a download since.

I am going to ask my provider for a new one. Though I want to make sure and replace everything, since it's all old anyways.

I use a Linksys WRT with Sveasoft Talisman firmware for home use.

For a small office (Or an advanced home network) I'd recommend Untangle... It's an open source product build on Debian Linux. We're using it for several clients, as well as our office and it works well. I'd be using it for my home network if I had an extra system lying around to install it on.

I tried untangle, it was a bit overbloated for what it needs to do. I'd recommend looking at pfsense if you're using a spare PC for routing. It can use squid and clamav for transparent content filtering at the gateway level as well.

This is the cheapest Wireless N router I found. But does it compare to the Linksys WRT54GS or better? Is Wireless N worth getting (i use it mostly for wired)

http://www.pccyber.com/?v=product&i=LAN-AL-AR670W

*edit

I then found this chart

http://www.linksys.com/Product_Comparison_Chart/Index_Scrollable.htm

They show 2 of the same routers, one Ethernet, one Gigabit, what exactly is that, whats the difference. After seeing that I want this router,

http://www.pccyber.com/?v=product&i=LAN-LS-WRT610N

I guess what I am asking is, does N to G really make a difference, does having the best or not really make a difference, what makes the biggest difference.

**edit

Just found out the service I am paying for from Rogers (when we signed up was 7Mbps) has now gone to 10Mbps (at least website shows that). Going to call them tomorrow for the upgrade. Also calling them to see if they have any DOCSIS 3.0 modems since I need a new one. And complain about there stupid monthly caps lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back