Best Router

I tried untangle, it was a bit overbloated for what it needs to do. I'd recommend looking at pfsense if you're using a spare PC for routing. It can use squid and clamav for transparent content filtering at the gateway level as well.

I guess that depends what you need it to do. It's got a LOT more features than pfsense.

Like I said... I'd recommend it for a small-medium size business or an advanced home network.... someplace say... where you wanted a VPN, or spam filtering, WAN failover, WAN load balancing... you know... the easy stuff. ;)

edit: Looking a little deeper into it, pfsense looks to have some pretty robust VPN capabilities... but the configuration for it isn't nearly as simple. haven't seen anything about some of the other items, though...

Last edited:
It uses CARP for router failover and can do WAN failover provided you have enough wan interfaces :).

Some of the other stuff is done through addons maintained by other individuals.

Untangle would be better if it got rid of that Java UI :)

Edit: spam filtering should be handled by your own mailserver or a service like postini :)

I really like some of the stuff in pfsense... other stuff I like Untangle better.

For the setup we have right now I'd like to have one of each... Untangle for the outside firewall, pfsense for the internal.

If your losing your connection every 10-20mins w/ heavy load a quick way to see if it's the modem or router would be to take the router out of the mix, hook a system that would create a heavy load up directly to the modem and see what happens.

If it is the router (no problems with just modem) I would recommend that if you get a Linksys to make sure you get one that tomato firmware works on (I love it on my WRT54GL).

Let me ask this,

I thought Tomato Firmware or things like that, slowed your max connection speed, is this not true?

If your losing your connection every 10-20mins w/ heavy load a quick way to see if it's the modem or router would be to take the router out of the mix, hook a system that would create a heavy load up directly to the modem and see what happens.

If it is the router (no problems with just modem) I would recommend that if you get a Linksys to make sure you get one that tomato firmware works on (I love it on my WRT54GL).

So I plugged my computer directly into the modem, since I do most of the downloading. I ran a 5GB download, running at full speed (800kb/s). So far it looks good, its been around 40minutes. Much longer then with everything plugged into the router.

Now I was going to replace both, but I guess it's good to know it's the router.

Let me ask this,

I thought Tomato Firmware or things like that, slowed your max connection speed, is this not true?

Not true... Unless you're using QOS... that's pretty much how QOS works... you take a small amount of bandwidth and reserve it.... when network usage nears the max set bandwidth then it starts throttling back a bit, to ensure there's enough bandwidth available to pass high priority traffic through.

Overall experience is an improvement... even if bittorrent runs a TINY bit slower.

I use traffic queing on pfsense so I can play my MMO's with bittorent running at full pelt in the background :)

Your service still isn't even fast enough to over take Wireless B

That being said, I will totally agree with earlier posts, the ISP's modem needs replacin. Linksys (Cisco) is fine, with STANDARD firmware.

Let me ask this,

Tomato is rock solid and geared more toward a higher number of connections (p2p/bittorrent/ect.) and handles them w/out issue while the default Linksys firmware can choke as it holds open connections far longer before closing them (and you only get so many). Oh and if your only getting 800kb/s max download then you've got nothing to worry about anyways (and could get any wireless band you want as you won't max it). ;)

I am about to buy this router.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250428012988

Since, I don't need to worry about Wireless N right now. Are there any other features that I should be looking at, and any version of this router above that I should be getting. Or is this the best for what I need?

The other thing I am worried about is if I replace my router, and even my modem, and I still have these issues. I guess then I should take to my ISP right?

Good luck with that.

if you're really asking for advice, get this one, instead: Wrt54GL

Or another that is compatible with one of the third party firmwares out there...

Last edited by a moderator:
So I just got the WRT54GL in the mail, opened it up and of course it has cds and instructions telling me to run the disc first, and follow instructions from there.

Do I need to follow there instructions, or can I just replace my old one with this one?

That is what I was thinking, I better not have issues! lol

i have the gs version of that router with tomato firmware - runs fine :)

dd-wrt is firmware like Tomato. Try the router out by itself, if it works and you are hapy enough with it you can leavi it alone. If you find the connections limiting than you can llokat dd-wrt or tomato and upgrade the router.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back