• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe Question...

melon

MS-DOS 2.0
Political User
#1
I'm wondering if anyone knows the answers to these questions:

--How high of an AMD processor does this support? The ASUS site says this: "Socket A for AMD® Athlon™ XP/ Athlon™/ Duron™ 600MHz ~ 2.8GHz+." Now I've noticed that the Athlon 3000+ operates at 2.17 GHz. Does that mean that this board could potentially support not only the 3000+, but any future Athlon chips that don't break around 2.8 GHz?

--Does this board even support Barton core chips to begin with?

--I'm currently running a 2400+ (266 FSB) with 2 256 MB DDR 400 memory in the Dual Channel position (slot 1 & 3). When I do a Sandra test, however, it appears that the bandwidth is at about 2000 MB/s. Is this the limitation due to my processor and FSB or is there something that I'm doing wrong that is lowering my memory performance? (FYI, I bought the DDR 400 memory with the expectation that I would someday upgrade my processor, so I know it won't be as spectacular as a 333 FSB chip, but I am just curious if there is anything else I can do.)

--Anyone else having problems with the ASUS website? I've read that there is a BIOS update for this board (1002), but I haven't been able to download a copy that hasn't been beta. AsusUpdate is also working terribly. I've never had a problem with their driver support before, and I was wondering if people are sharing an equal frustration with this.

Lots of questions, yes, but I am curious to the answers. Thanks!

Melon
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#2
its supported... nvidia and amd hve both released statements saying the nforce2 platform supports the barton and possible 200mhz clock processors in the future (400fsb)
 

Taurus

hardware monkey
#3
Originally posted by melon
--I'm currently running a 2400+ (266 FSB) with 2 256 MB DDR 400 memory in the Dual Channel position (slot 1 & 3). When I do a Sandra test, however, it appears that the bandwidth is at about 2000 MB/s. Is this the limitation due to my processor and FSB or is there something that I'm doing wrong that is lowering my memory performance? (FYI, I bought the DDR 400 memory with the expectation that I would someday upgrade my processor, so I know it won't be as spectacular as a 333 FSB chip, but I am just curious if there is anything else I can do.)
you have 5.3gb/sec of theoretical bandwidth (2.7gb x 2)... so i'm sure you should get a higher number then that. this might be dumb, but did you have to enable a dual-ddr option in the bios somewhere?
 
R

Reality|Bites

Guest
#4
you don't have to enable dual ddr in the bios, as long as you use slot 3 and either slot 1 or 2 you will be in dual ddr mode, although asus recommends you use slots 2 and 3
the A7N8X will support every socket a cpu to come from amd
the boards have a 22X multiplier so no worries there
although the barton will be the last ever socket a chip
 
#5
Yeah baby, I have A7N8X Deluxe as well, AMD Athlon TB 2.1+ XP 1.733GHz 333FSB. It supports up to 2.8+.

To see all the processors this board supports go HERE, it is a Socket A(462).

To download latest Bios 1002 click HERE

For a mirror click HERE

If you want you can use the PAIN IN THE A$$ DOS tool Asus recommends OR you can use this windows based app that will let you apply the new BIOS image inside windows; please note this app is also made by Asus but is not on the download page. Download HERE


If you want to thank me go HERE
 

melon

MS-DOS 2.0
Political User
#6
Originally posted by Reality|Bites
you don't have to enable dual ddr in the bios, as long as you use slot 3 and either slot 1 or 2 you will be in dual ddr mode, although asus recommends you use slots 2 and 3
Yeah. This is what it weird! I'm running on 1 and 3 right now. Maybe 2 and 3 will give me all that bandwidth? Or maybe the default BIOS settings are wrong?

Does anyone know for sure?

Melon
 
D

deadzombie

Guest
#7
Use slots 2 & 3. I was using 1 & 3, then one of my buddies at the local shop told me to use 2 & 3 instead. I immediatly saw a difference in my benchmarks...
 

melon

MS-DOS 2.0
Political User
#8
Originally posted by deadzombie
Use slots 2 & 3. I was using 1 & 3, then one of my buddies at the local shop told me to use 2 & 3 instead. I immediatly saw a difference in my benchmarks...
Cool...I'll have to try this in a few days when I have time.

Melon
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
61,961
Messages
673,239
Members
89,013
Latest member
Pdawgintown