Asus A7N8X Deluxe Question...

melon

MS-DOS 2.0
Political Access
I'm wondering if anyone knows the answers to these questions:

--How high of an AMD processor does this support? The ASUS site says this: "Socket A for AMD® Athlon™ XP/ Athlon™/ Duron™ 600MHz ~ 2.8GHz+." Now I've noticed that the Athlon 3000+ operates at 2.17 GHz. Does that mean that this board could potentially support not only the 3000+, but any future Athlon chips that don't break around 2.8 GHz?

--Does this board even support Barton core chips to begin with?

--I'm currently running a 2400+ (266 FSB) with 2 256 MB DDR 400 memory in the Dual Channel position (slot 1 & 3). When I do a Sandra test, however, it appears that the bandwidth is at about 2000 MB/s. Is this the limitation due to my processor and FSB or is there something that I'm doing wrong that is lowering my memory performance? (FYI, I bought the DDR 400 memory with the expectation that I would someday upgrade my processor, so I know it won't be as spectacular as a 333 FSB chip, but I am just curious if there is anything else I can do.)

--Anyone else having problems with the ASUS website? I've read that there is a BIOS update for this board (1002), but I haven't been able to download a copy that hasn't been beta. AsusUpdate is also working terribly. I've never had a problem with their driver support before, and I was wondering if people are sharing an equal frustration with this.

Lots of questions, yes, but I am curious to the answers. Thanks!

Melon

its supported... nvidia and amd hve both released statements saying the nforce2 platform supports the barton and possible 200mhz clock processors in the future (400fsb)

Originally posted by melon
--I'm currently running a 2400+ (266 FSB) with 2 256 MB DDR 400 memory in the Dual Channel position (slot 1 & 3). When I do a Sandra test, however, it appears that the bandwidth is at about 2000 MB/s. Is this the limitation due to my processor and FSB or is there something that I'm doing wrong that is lowering my memory performance? (FYI, I bought the DDR 400 memory with the expectation that I would someday upgrade my processor, so I know it won't be as spectacular as a 333 FSB chip, but I am just curious if there is anything else I can do.)
you have 5.3gb/sec of theoretical bandwidth (2.7gb x 2)... so i'm sure you should get a higher number then that. this might be dumb, but did you have to enable a dual-ddr option in the bios somewhere?

you don't have to enable dual ddr in the bios, as long as you use slot 3 and either slot 1 or 2 you will be in dual ddr mode, although asus recommends you use slots 2 and 3
the A7N8X will support every socket a cpu to come from amd
the boards have a 22X multiplier so no worries there
although the barton will be the last ever socket a chip

Yeah baby, I have A7N8X Deluxe as well, AMD Athlon TB 2.1+ XP 1.733GHz 333FSB. It supports up to 2.8+.

To see all the processors this board supports go HERE, it is a Socket A(462).

To download latest Bios 1002 click HERE

For a mirror click HERE

If you want you can use the PAIN IN THE A$$ DOS tool Asus recommends OR you can use this windows based app that will let you apply the new BIOS image inside windows; please note this app is also made by Asus but is not on the download page. Download HERE

If you want to thank me go HERE

Originally posted by Reality|Bites
you don't have to enable dual ddr in the bios, as long as you use slot 3 and either slot 1 or 2 you will be in dual ddr mode, although asus recommends you use slots 2 and 3

Yeah. This is what it weird! I'm running on 1 and 3 right now. Maybe 2 and 3 will give me all that bandwidth? Or maybe the default BIOS settings are wrong?

Does anyone know for sure?

Melon

Use slots 2 & 3. I was using 1 & 3, then one of my buddies at the local shop told me to use 2 & 3 instead. I immediatly saw a difference in my benchmarks...

Originally posted by deadzombie
Use slots 2 & 3. I was using 1 & 3, then one of my buddies at the local shop told me to use 2 & 3 instead. I immediatly saw a difference in my benchmarks...

Cool...I'll have to try this in a few days when I have time.

Melon

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back