As Smart As You Are, I Bet You Didn't Know...

prodj88 said:
we learned about this in class buts its debatable. we thought its a supercooled liquid ]while our book said its an amorphous solid.

There is no clear answer to the question "Is glass solid or liquid?". In terms of molecular dynamics and thermodynamics it is possible to justify various different views that it is a highly viscous liquid, an amorphous solid, or simply that glass is another state of matter which is neither liquid nor solid. The difference is semantic. In terms of its material properties we can do little better. There is no clear definition of the distinction between solids and highly viscous liquids. All such phases or states of matter are idealisations of real material properties. Nevertheless, from a more common sense point of view, glass should be considered a solid since it is rigid according to every day experience. The use of the term "supercooled liquid" to describe glass still persists, but is considered by many to be an unfortunate misnomer that should be avoided. In any case, claims that glass panes in old windows have deformed due to glass flow have never been substantiated. Examples of Roman glassware and calculations based on measurements of glass visco-properties indicate that these claims cannot be true. The observed features are more easily explained as a result of the imperfect methods used to make glass window panes before the float glass process was invented.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/Glass/glass.html

j79zlr said:
There is no clear answer to the question "Is glass solid or liquid?". In terms of molecular dynamics and thermodynamics it is possible to justify various different views that it is a highly viscous liquid, an amorphous solid, or simply that glass is another state of matter which is neither liquid nor solid. The difference is semantic. In terms of its material properties we can do little better. There is no clear definition of the distinction between solids and highly viscous liquids. All such phases or states of matter are idealisations of real material properties. Nevertheless, from a more common sense point of view, glass should be considered a solid since it is rigid according to every day experience. The use of the term "supercooled liquid" to describe glass still persists, but is considered by many to be an unfortunate misnomer that should be avoided. In any case, claims that glass panes in old windows have deformed due to glass flow have never been substantiated. Examples of Roman glassware and calculations based on measurements of glass visco-properties indicate that these claims cannot be true. The observed features are more easily explained as a result of the imperfect methods used to make glass window panes before the float glass process was invented.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/Glass/glass.html

Go ahead....spoil all our fun. :p I suppose you'll tell us there's no Santa either, right?! :D :rolleyes:

I'm an engineer, thats my job, but it seems obvious to me, glass breaks, it is hard and brittle, and can substain tensile forces. I know of no liquids that exhibit those properties. Everything has viscosity, if you apply a shear force to a steel beam, it will deform, if you apply a shear force to water, it flows, or deforms. The only difference is the rate.

ThePatriot said:
Go ahead....spoil all our fun. :p I suppose you'll tell us there's no Santa either, right?! :D :rolleyes:

There is a santa, there is no Easter Bunny
week_ap20_dead.jpg

ThePatriot said:
lol I just posted this in the funny pics thread but it is more fitting here now :)

Attachments

• tombstone.jpg
    tombstone.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 77
ShepsCrook said:
2 spots the left hand can't touch the right one, I'm sure you could truly say an infinite amount of spots, but put your right arm out straight, and try to touch with your left hand. Can't do it can you! And if you can, you're a freak of nature. The other spot is the left elbow, along with some parts of our forearm.

But I already knew about the glass thing.

the right hand out and touching it with your left hand is wrong...i can do it. its easy as hell.

oooo :) ooops...well it said straight out so yeah.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back